Halibut rig

Irishrover
Irishrover
There are different ways to rig up for halibut fishing. This is my favorite way. I like it because I know it will stand up to punishment. It is not the cheapest nor the fast way to rig for halibut. But when I fish with a black label herring it works great for holding the herring. Chad Wiest uses a gannion, 200lbs mono with a shripfly loop. It's effective and faster to rig, it's a good way to rig too. Being retired I have time on my hands and what better way to spend it than a fish related activity. Going to eat dinner now be back to explaine how to rig it up.

Ok back from dinner...lamb chops, baked potato, broccoli, and good red wine.

First what I use to tie up the rigs. 135 lbs plastic coated cable wire, crimps to match, size 8 ought hook, size 7 ought hook, #2 swivels, 135 braided. 400lbs tie string.

First step crimp on bottom hook, (8 ought) slide on second hook (7 ought) tie hook onto the plastic coated cable just as you would tie a slider onto a mooching rig with the 400lbs line, next tie the swivel onto the braided line with a palomar knot. Do NOT crimp the swivel onto the line before you tie the palomar not. If you do you soon find out why you should not. Next step after the palomar not is to crimp on the swivel to the plastic coated cable. Put another #2 swivel onto the braided line to act as a slider for you weight, then the last step put on the last #2 swivel to the other end of the braided line and there you have it. One heck of a stout halibut rig

• 016.jpg
  • 017.jpg
  • 018.jpg
  • 019.jpg
  • 020.jpg
  • 021.jpg
Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Now that's a stout rig! I used pre-tied hooks with that coated cable down in California when I fished for bonito. Like you said, it'll stand up to the punishment. How far have you been going out to fish for those?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Hey Jim......Been going out about 25 miles from the mouth of the Columbia. 0 for 2 trips so far. Still prospecting, working the area on the south side of the Astoria canyon in about 500+ feet of water. Going to find them soon! Maybe I shound try a sinking tip.

O
OnTheFly
Keyword there is 'Sinking'. Never heard of a halibut caught on top water.;)

B
bythesea
This one works for me,,,DSCN0343.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
I like the circle hook on the bottom. That is some stout mono line too.

B
bythesea
Irishrover said:
I like the circle hook on the bottom. That is some stout mono line too.

220#mono plus, if you use some 1/8" clear tube you don't have to mess around w/tying a slider on your top hook...

Irishrover
Irishrover
bythesea said:
220#mono plus, if you use some 1/8" clear tube you don't have to mess around w/tying a slider on your top hook...

I like that idea 1/8" clear tube instead of tying that knot. I think I'll pick up some momo and give it a try.

C
chad wiest
We do use gannions. Before starting charter fishing I used spreader bars. They work! The advantage of a gannion is that small fish can be pulled over the side easily without a net of gaff needed. having a bunch of rods rigged up with gannions are also stored easier. Another advantage is a roll of 200lbs mono is a lot cheaper than buying spreader bars and losing them. We tie 9/0 galvanized j hooks to 1ft sections of 200 lbs mono and tie a swivel on the end. Then pop that on the shrimp fly loop. There are a lot of different ways to rig for halibut. Sliders, spreaders, multi-hook, and gannions all work and have their advantages. It all depends on your needs and prefrences!