Salmon rod question

L
LuckyFisher
I've got an Okuma SST 10' 6" ML action 6-12LB rod I've used to bobber fish for steelhead with this year. It seems like a great rod for that but I'm a little worried about using it for salmon this spring. I don't care if it makes it a bit tougher for me to fight the fish, I just don't want the rod to break. Do you think there is danger of a big spring Chinook to break a rod like that?

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
If your drag is set correctly you won't have to worry about your rod breaking. It is easier using lighter gear from a boat because you can go after the fish.

E
eugene1
Sounds like a good rod for springers, they are usually smaller than the fall fish. Like Shane mentioned, just make sure your drag is set OK and you're good to go with that rod.

Don't over think it, they are just fish!

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
It's a challenge, and more fun, to use lighter gear!

J
JeannaJigs
Not to be the downer on a light gear party here, but remember if you're fishing a river where there are wild stock fish that you are required by law to release, fighting a fish for a long time on light gear is normally a death sentence. It might swim off but studies have shown they generally succumb shortly thereafter. I don't know which rivers you're fishing or the regs but just my 2 cents.

B
Backtrolling
That rod won't work very well. What will happen is you'll hook Mr. Springer and he's gonna be pissed. He's going to run up or down or he will just stay on the bottom in current. In either case you need more backbone to stop him if he runs or you'll need the power to tighten your drag a little and use the strenght of the rod to pull him up off the bottom. If your afraid to tighten up and turn any fishes head because your gear is too light you won't land many.

Try to get something in the 9' to 9'6" Lenght 8-17 or 10-20 medium heavy you'll want a soft tip but more of a fast action rod. That's all just my opinion and the fact that my first sandy springer came on a 6'9" 6-12 med trout rod. I don't want to do that again.