Need to slow it down

W
Wickerdave
took my new 20' Alumaweld Stryker out to Green Peter yesterday fishing for Kokanee. Don't have a kicker yet and even with the trolling option I had installed on the Honda 115 I couldn't get under about 2.3 mph. too fast for Kokanee or Walleye. until i can save up enough for a kicker I was thinking about a drift sock, wonering how much it would help?

D
DrTheopolis
The budget route - 2 5-gallon buckets with a big hole drilled in the bottom. Attach them near the bow, so there's no way the lines can get near the prop. Thet double as dock-bumpers, and even work as a stand for your trailer tongue when you unhook.

G
grizzlynitemare
DrTheopolis said:
The budget route - 2 5-gallon buckets with a big hole drilled in the bottom. Attach them near the bow, so there's no way the lines can get near the prop. Thet double as dock-bumpers, and even work as a stand for your trailer tongue when you unhook.

Seen many boats using this technique. Works pretty Well.

E
eugene1
Another option is a trolling plate for the motor or tilt your motor so the prop is pushing water up.

All of these ideas are too ghetto for your new 20' Stryker though!

Good luck,

W
Wickerdave
I've heard that trolling plates can really damage your motor?

E
eugene1
I haven't heard that. I haven't used one myself but I see them on motors fairly often at the ramps.

Best,

Wickerdave said:

F
FishFinger
Wickerdave said:

I don't know that's the case. I've used trolling plates several times, with no I'll effects; aside from the ability to motor anywhere quickly with the plate down.. lol

The same can be said for buckets of which, I have several extra bucket handles ripped free; because they weren't pulled in first.... Gilligan!

T
twout
Need to slow it down

Yes Dave a drift sock on each side should put you into your speed zone. You may not be happy with just 1, it will constantly pull your boat to one side.

T
troutmasta
I had a trolling plate on my old bayliner worked great, Downside is gas keeping the big motor in gear and noise IMO.

Buckets are cheaper though. If your already planning on getting a trolling motor, buckets might be the temporary ticket.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The problem with the trolling plate is you have to be smart enough to pull the release when you want to power the motor up and go. I was not always that smart and have bent the plate out a bit on more than one occasion. Going in reverse fast doesn't fix it. Now it doesn't look that cool to power up with buckets or sea anchors still in the water either but it is not quite as noticable. I ended up with the sea anchors, one on each side. You can adjust the size of the hole in the bottom of the sea anchor and thereby adjust your speed. With the sea anchors, when you are done using them, you can roll them up and they are out of the way. The best thing to do is save up for the trolling motor.

M
mikeee2362
Spend the 100 bucks or so and get a couple socks, so much easier to get out of the way when not in use...and start saving your pennies for your kicker. Sounds like you got yourself a winner with the 20' and 115hp.