First steelhead of my life

C
champmclean
"Oh ****, that's a fish"
This is what I said, out loud, when I realized the resistance from the other end of my line wasn't another rock or downed tree. 6th time's a charm, I guess. 29'' 8lbs

• IMG950322.jpg
Reactions: ChezJfrey
E
eugene1
Dude, nice chromer!

Looks like a summer run if caught as of late.

Welcome to the forum to you too! Lots of new posters with quality posts, I like it!

Best,

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! That is a great start, I hope there are many more in your future. Oh, and I hope you have time for your new addiction...:D

F
FishFinger
Congrats, what a beauty. Bet it was a hoot to catch.

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice fish. How was the fight?

C
ChezJfrey
That's a solid, first fish! Nice work. Oh, and those famous words uttered on a first steelhead, "Oh ****, that's a fish," probably won't leave your vocabulary...I still have that thought sometimes on the sneakier takes; they can be crafty :)

C
champmclean
I've been posting for a while under a different handle. I wanted to post a picture but realized I forgot my info.
The fight started off good with a few jumps, then It was like dead weight for a little bit. He gave me one good run, makin' the reel sing and then I finally wrestled it onto shore.

B
BamaDan
Man do I know exactly what you're talking about. That's a great feeling when you finally get the hook in one isn't it? Nice work.

C
champmclean
I caught it 5/18/14. It was right before 11am. It was out of the water for about an hour and a half before I had a filet in the marinade.

I chrushed walnuts and mixed it with honey, syrup and butter, then, glazed the filet with that before going into the oven.

yum

B
Big3d
That sounds insanely good. Nice catch, congrats on the first!

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations and it sounds like one tasty meal.

T
Toyracer38
Gratz on your first! I still say Oh **** every time I hook one! :)

M
mikeee2362
Way to go Champ!! That's a fatty, and nice chrome too!! You won't forget that fight or that meal anytime soon!! That marinade/glaze sounds awesome, gonna try that one out one of these days!

C
champmclean
I grew up in northeast PA fishing for bass, walleye, pike, musky and stocky trout. This is a whole different ball game. Last trout opener was my first time fishing in Oregon. I went to the Salmon river catching little dinkers and have been moving down-stream ever since. I've been as far down as Oxbow.
I'd really like to float the rest. Got a 9ft fishcat, but no one to go with. Finding a ride share on this forum would be awesome.
Thanks for all the congrats.

Walnuts + steelhead = happy

G
grizzlynitemare
Nice steelie. Hoping to get one of my own this year once I get settled down after a crazy May.

Toyracer38 said:
Gratz on your first! I still say Oh **** every time I hook one! :)

I still say that every time I get a bite! :D