Big favor to ask

S
Satchel
Had death in the family this past week and am taking my son fishing at Detroit tomorrow. He's 11 and an avid fisherman. We need fishing therapy big time. I am taking him to Detroit early Thursday morning and need tips on where to park/fish, leader length, baits/lures. Basically anything that will help us catch a ton of fish to assuage some of our grief.

Thank you and God Bless.

H
HereFishy
3 words. Kinney Creek Road (if you drive over the dam, you're on Kinney Creek Rd.)... follow that for about 2 miles. The first bridge you come to is my honey hole. I've never had a problem limiting out there. I fish straight OFF the bridge. Night crawlers or salad shrimp under a float seem to work the best for me. It's a really nice swimming hole too. The water is pretty clear there compared to the rest of the res. and there's a small waterfall that could be used as a waterslide if someone was so inclined. If that doesn't pan out for you, another place that I've always limited out at is right on the dam. The farther away from the highway the better. Night crawlers and chartreuse powerbait under a float seem to work the best for me there. Hope this helps.

Kyle

P.S. Sorry to hear about your loss. That's always a bummer.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. I do wish that your arrival, was under better circumstances.

I echo what Kyle mentioned above. That'll also be an easy way, for your and your son to fish. Plus, another OFFer has been nailing them like crazy, right there at that bridge.

May God's grace be with you, and your family.

S
Steeliekiller
Detroit is having its annual fishing Derby that weekend, that being said the lake should be loaded with fish, as well as, people. Don't forget the capt. America power bait, works great.

T
Toyracer38
Welcome to OFF. So sorry for your loss. Hope you hook a ton of fish!

S
Satchel
Thanks to all. Much appreciated.

C
chrisohm
I suggest power eggs in a lime green, chartreuse or orange; off the bottom with a 4' leader, sliding tear drop sinker. Float them with a 12" leader around 5' deep. Also, salad shrimp are way easier to deal with with than sand shrimp. You can even nuke them in the microwave to toughen them up a bit or tip small steelhead jigs with it, pink, orange or black/chartreuse work the best. Small spinners work well too. Best of luck and sorry for your loss, it is never easy losing your loved ones.

S
Satchel
Thanks so much HereFishy, we followed your advise and had a great day. God bless.

HereFishy said:
3 words. Kinney Creek Road (if you drive over the dam, you're on Kinney Creek Rd.)... follow that for about 2 miles. The first bridge you come to is my honey hole. I've never had a problem limiting out there. I fish straight OFF the bridge. Night crawlers or salad shrimp under a float seem to work the best for me. It's a really nice swimming hole too. The water is pretty clear there compared to the rest of the res. and there's a small waterfall that could be used as a waterslide if someone was so inclined. If that doesn't pan out for you, another place that I've always limited out at is right on the dam. The farther away from the highway the better. Night crawlers and chartreuse powerbait under a float seem to work the best for me there. Hope this helps.

Kyle

P.S. Sorry to hear about your loss. That's always a bummer.

H
HereFishy
I'm so glad to hear that. I was wondering how you guys did. I went there today with my buddy. We both had our limit in about an hour. Was it the bridge or the dam that worked for you?

E
EastOfisherman
You can always use rooster tails too I've caught a lot of kokes on them