Bayview jetty

P
pez75
planning on some fishing during memorial weekend, any advice? never done a lot of fishing on ocean, or from jetty.

C
CESAR503
try sea perch

P
pez75
any advice on setup on rigging?

T
Toyracer38
Just plunking some sandshrimp works. Don't turn your back on your bait container! Found out the hard way. Dang Seagulls!

P
pez75
lol so funny. great advice.

D
DrTheopolis
My advice is to do a forum search on Barview Jetty for starters.

P
pez75
Thanks doc. I have been searching. I got a 9' mh rod with a penn force 6000 spinning reel. I need to get some terminal tackle to get set up right.

D
DrTheopolis
If you can get out at night, shine some sort of bright light in the water in front of you, and use a 1/4oz jig with a small curly tail on light gear where you're shining the light.

Boom.

P
pez75
Sweet u will try.

D
DrTheopolis
And your heavier gear with heavier jigs will work in the day. It can get slow in the daytime, especially between tides. They usually hide in the rocks a bit more in the day. At night, they're all out hunting. Get a slack tide after dark, and fishing can be pretty fast and furious. I'd avoid going too far out on the jetty at night, because it's hard to see the big waves coming. There's plenty of fish in the inner parts, pretty much anywhere the boulders are stacked. Below the first parking lot and down is fine. If you stay inside where the jetty curves south a little bit, you won't take a beating from the waves.

B
backcountryhunter
The first time I went fishing at the jetty. I went to the Barview Jetty Store and talked to the owner. Told him I never fished the jetty before and asked what rigs and bait to use and what presentation and techniques work best. I bought everything he recommended and went away with 2 greenling a surf perch and 5 black bass for two days fishing. I would fish an hour before and after the slack tides. I figured out that the fish don't like that heavy current and seem to feed when the water is calmer. I never fished at night though. If you are casting curly tails for bass walk up and down the jetty until you get into them.

E
eugene1
backcountryhunter, thanks for the solid first post!

Only could be better if you posted the pics. LOL.

Welcome to our forum!

backcountryhunter said:
The first time I went fishing at the jetty. I went to the Barview Jetty Store and talked to the owner. Told him I never fished the jetty before and asked what rigs and bait to use and what presentation and techniques work best. I bought everything he recommended and went away with 2 greenling a surf perch and 5 black bass for two days fishing. I would fish an hour before and after the slack tides. I figured out that the fish don't like that heavy current and seem to feed when the water is calmer. I never fished at night though. If you are casting curly tails for bass walk up and down the jetty until you get into them.

W
waco
This is what I use and is very productive. I set up a Carolina rig, I like to use 30# braided line (I hate donating my rigs to the ocean) then put a egg sinker or slider wait 3/4 or 1 Oz, put a swivel then your leader, approx. 4 feet to a 1/8 jig head with a 2" or 4" curly tale in chartreuse or pearl white color. (Using scent in your rigs always help) Now just pick your spot and start fishing, cast as far as you can and let it drop to the bottom 10 to 12 sec. and just work your jig in the bottom. give it couple taps let it seat, reel in slow, let it drop again, couple taps, let it seat, reel in slow and just keep working the bottom. You can get Sea bass and Lincod with this setup, You can fish all day but seems like slacks of tides are the most productive.

B
backcountryhunter
That's kind of what I do although I don't use the Carolina rig with the egg sinker. I use 3/8oz lead head jigs and the white Berkley Gulp curly tails. Cast out as far as possible and let it sink and then start jigging and letting her sink again nice and slow. I think your set up would let you get closer to the bottom. I will have to try that rig and presentation next time I am over there. thanks.