Salmon leader length

F
fishingfool
So I went out and bought a diver but i don't know how long the leader should be any help is appreciated

F
FishFinger
Which type of diver did you get? Jet, Deep 6, Pink lady, Dipsy?

Are you running a flasher/dodger as well?

As a general rule consider your rod length. When your gear is reeled up you don't want the leader to be so long it makes landing the fish more difficult.

3' to a flasher, another 3' to 5' to your herring, or simply 5' from diver to baits.

Reactions: Irishrover
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
for Fall Chinooks, we run our flasher 20" back from the spreader, then 40" leader back to our herring, so total is about 6' when you factor in the flasher and spreader. and we use 7' rods on our boat, so total gear length slightly less than the rod...roger

Irishrover
Irishrover
You are geting good answers so far. To answer the question fully where are you fishing as in the ocean, tidewater or up river. Next question would be silver (Coho) or king (Chinook). It does make a difference.

For silvers in the ocean I'll go five feet back from the diver with no flasher. In the B-10 area for silvers I add a flashed attached to the diver and run six feet of line. For ocean kings I use down riggers so that woun't help. In the B-10 area for kings I run a flasher (Short Bus) right off the diver with eight feet of leader on a nine foot rod. There is a great book you might like to get your hands on "Illustrateted Rigging for Salmon, steelhead, Trout." You can pick one up at Bi Mart. This is not ment to discourage you from asking questions, it just a good book with excellant illustration of how to rig the gear.

What Fishfinger pointed out about rod length and leader length is a very important piece of information.

F
fishingfool
Oh sorry guys I forgot the important stuff I am using a green jet diver it dives up to 50 feet by luhr Jensen I have an ugly stick lite 9'6" bait caster and I am fish the willamette start at clackamette park and slowly slowly drifting back to just below meld rum bar and no flasher would a flasher help tho if so what colors should I get thanks again

F
FishFinger
Back trolling that stretch of the Willy can be productive and using a jet is the right choice of diver. 50/50 might be a tad deep. All my successful hooks up occured between 12' & 25'. Often the notion that Chinook run deep in the channel isn't the case on the big C or the Willy. 12' to 25' (as mentioned) is the golden zone.

Using a flasher would be up to you, based on water conditions, color and clarity. Being the W... I'd suggest nickel & green.

F
fishingfool
FishFinger said:
Back trolling that stretch of the Willy can be productive and using a jet is the right choice of diver. 50/50 might be a tad deep. All my successful hooks up occured between 12' & 25'. Often the notion that Chinook run deep in the channel isn't the case on the big C or the Willy. 12' to 25' (as mentioned) is the golden zone.

Using a flasher would be up to you, based on water conditions, color and clarity. Being the W... I'd suggest nickel & green.
Awesome thanks fishfinger I will let you know how I do and how far behind you boat do you fish does it even matter or

F
FishFinger
I'm think it's 100 ft to reach the designed depth.

As you master the back troll, you can also have good success with coon shrimp for steelhead and wiggle worts for coho; in that same stretch of water.

Good luck!