The big corky question

J
JeannaJigs
Drew9870 said:
Fish-N-Chips, don't take me the wrong way, I am not calling you a flosser (I saw your original post), I was acually trying to be rather civil.

Drew9870 said:
If you are talking the hatchery hole on Three Rivers, I can assure you it was flossed

Hmmmmmm. That's all I'm gonna say on that....

J
JeannaJigs
I've caught quite a few salmon on corky/yarn set ups, with no bait, also just plain corkies because my glob of eggs fell off and i didn't want to deal with more bait ...the corkies **** 'em off. Like has been said, it just depends on where you're fishing, if you're fishing pressured water, such as a deadline, it's a lost cause...but if you're fishing a quiet hole in the morning, that little corky whizzing by is going to get their attention and they're gonna want to know what it is that's invading their area.

R
RunWithSasquatch
JeannaJigs said:
I've caught quite a few salmon on corky/yarn set ups, with no bait, also just plain corkies because my glob of eggs fell off and i didn't want to deal with more bait ...the corkies **** 'em off. Like has been said, it just depends on where you're fishing, if you're fishing pressured water, such as a deadline, it's a lost cause...but if you're fishing a quiet hole in the morning, that little corky whizzing by is going to get their attention and they're gonna want to know what it is that's invading their area.

I agree with that JJigs, and I believe that anyone who has dedicated a portion of there life to fishing for chinook and steelhead know exactly what you mean.

I think that maybe Drew is misinformed because of lack of experience.

I think if anyone put the casts in, they would understand.

A
AK Angler
The flossing conversation is a little off-topic. To refocus the discussion and rephrase the original question: "Why don't Rogue salmon strike naked Corkies?" Or to expand the question, "Why do so many bank fisherman on the Rogue believe salmon don't strike anything?"

Thanks to Mad Dog, Eat/Sleep/Fish and JeannaJigs for sharing their experience with Corkies. I have yet to see anyone fish naked Corkies, or anyone fish a Corky larger than a pea, so it's nice to know others have at least tried it.

I believe anyone fishing with eggs on top of a Corky is just using the Corky to add a little buoyancy, to keep the eggs from sinking straight to the bottom. I don't know though, maybe a little extra color makes a difference.

I have heard a number of theories about what color Corkies to fish, but between my experience and what I've witnessed first-hand in Alaska, it doesn't seem like Corky color makes all that much difference. I've seen days where multiple guys landed 20+ fair-hooked fish — one guy using blue/green metallics, another using flat chartreuse and orange, another guy using lime green, and another guy using pink. I'd be curious though to learn if Rogue fish are pickier. Maybe the suggestions I've heard over the years to use certain colors based on the amount of daylight or water conditions play a bigger factor here?

J
JeannaJigs
I definitely think it is all relative to water conditions and daylight/brightness. Probably my favorite to use for fall is the metallic chartreuse/blue though. I won't lie, I started using it for girl reasons, it was pretty. The fish thought it was too, and it's pretty versatile in different conditions. I just use a smaller one in low clear water

D
Drew9870
Which leads me to say they are flossed most of the time, I will also agree, I mean, I never once said they won't ever eat a corky, because there is always that percentage of fish that are curious enough to hit a got-damn rubber lizard :), like I also stated way earlier in the thread, there can always be that one hour on that certain day where they may be curious or even hungry enough to hit anything.

Lack of experience, I wonder why I never used the word never :), I almost feel like most of my comments got read over pretty quick.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
I never stated that Salmon do not eat them, because I will agree with you that fish are curious creatures, Salmon are a species of fish that are very curious when their mind is set in the feeding mode, which is generally in the ocean, all fish are different, when they enter the river some of these fish may willingly feed on a wide variety of items, some may be very picky on what they will accept, most will have lockjaw, maybe they get a burst of hunger (or curiosity) during a certain hour on a certain day, Salmon are very unpredictable, so saying what they do and don't like can be both right and wrong on any given day.

There is always a lot more to consider than most think when something does or does not work.

I always refrain from saying something will never work, fish can be curious, I've spent a lot of time around them, whether I am on the water or at home.

JeannaJigs said:
Hmmmmmm. That's all I'm gonna say on that....

One judged as a 'flosser' in my book, is one who does it intentionally and knowingly, I'd say 1/2 of the people you see standing in a row with 6ft leaders over at Foster Dam really do believe those Chinooks are biting more than 90% of the time.

Last edited:
M
Mad dog
Drew9870 said:
Well, people need to get out of denial, ever thought of what gets me fired up? Ignorance, there is an endless world of possibilities out there, most only put 1/8 of the possibilities into consideration.

I continue to word my opinion (mostly facts in this thread) to broaden peoples horizons, I'd say naturally 80% of fishermen are stuck in a box.

Fish-N-Chips, don't take me the wrong way, I am not calling you a flosser (I saw your original post), I was acually trying to be rather civil.

"Drews a funny guy, he rambles on and on....he'll talk the balls off a Rinosaurus!!!"

M
Mad dog
I know a guy that is in his 70's, who has caught 1000's and 1000's of salmon in his lifetime, tell me once of a spot in a narrow slot where he would literally dangle a green corky ahead of a nickel colored hook at his feet and watch salmon come up and attack it simply because it was in their way! Had to have the flash of the nickel hook wobbling in the current and the aggressive fish would come eat it! His best day doing this....9 fish!!! :lol:

When salmon see something flash in the current they don't necessarily know it's a hook! :think:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Was your friend stuck in a box? Of sorts.

H
halibuthitman
funny thing about guides.. they know everything, most bank advice is free becouse its worthless. As for the spoon/corky why do fish bite question, there is a reason that presentation is everything in steelhead and salmon fishing, most strikes are "trigger" hits, just like bass salmonoids can become annoyed and "anything" put within 4 inches of its mouth will stand a high chance of getting clobbered. as for colors most colors appear diffent under water at different depths so color is really all relative. If your looking for a true feed strike then you need to focus on the first hour of light, these fish still have their instincts and feed especially kings, at the first 1- 1.5 hours of light.. your odds start crashing fast every second the sun is up. but you mentioned catching hundreds of kings already, so I would just stick with what you know and ignore the sideline advice.. oh and I wouldn't take ANY advice or **** from someone who isn't smart enough to not even go to three rivers.. you should be on the trask-

F
Fish-N-Chips
The following is not directed at any one person, but rather in general:The best thing about a forum is that people can hide behind their computer screens and say whatever feeds their ego. :clap: Chime on in and let everyone know that you know how to fish :D I have seen the same disgusting habits(snagging?flossing) EVERYWHERE (especially on the Trask this year) Anyone ever hiked 3 rivers up and down?(there is plenty of pocket water that snaggers and flossers are way to lazy to even attempt to go). Too bad law enforcement is too lazy to hike those rivers more and give out tickets for that crap.Wherever there is a hatchery and a run of salmon or steelhead there is bound to be fish in it:shock: Corky or no corky, big or small .......I just want to have fun out there.Just sayin!

Last edited:
Reactions: JeannaJigs
S
skunk
When salmon see something flash in the current they don't necessarily know it's a hook! :think:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: JeannaJigs
D
Drew9870
Fish-N-Chips said:
(there is plenty of pocket water that snaggers and flossers are way to lazy to even attempt to go). Too bad law enforcement is too lazy to hike those rivers more and give out tickets for that crap.

That doesn't make sense, first of all, I will say a flosser/snagger is desperate for dinner, so they will go to many extents to go home with one fish, including hiking. Second, if flossers and snaggers never attempt to go to these hike in holes, why would law enforcement need to visit these holes? Can I also include I am trying to speak in a friendly manner, I ain't getting at anyones throat, some people seem to get at mine any chance they feel is appropriate, just trying to clear up what you were saying, a lot of your post was changed since yesterday.

This is where I may not sound so friendly...

But as far as you bringing up people hiding behing their computers, being ironic it just so happened to come up in this specific thread, in which you seemed very opposing to what I said, I feel a little singled out, which leads me to say I do not hesitate to speak out as much in person as I do online, well, maybe a little more to the point in person, it does no good to say someone is hiding behind a computer when you don't know them, they might be twice your weight and height. Just very funny how you act like you don't mean to point fingers specifically, but yet, you talk about hiding behind a computer :lol::lol::lol:.

Last edited:
E
eat, sleep, fish
Drew9870 said:
That doesn't make sense, first of all, I will say a flosser/snagger is desperate for dinner, so they will go to many extents to go home with one fish, including hiking. Second, if flossers and snaggers never attempt to go to these hike in holes, why would law enforcement need to visit these holes? Can I also include I am trying to speak in a friendly manner, I ain't getting at anyones throat, some people seem to get at mine any chance they feel is appropriate, just trying to clear up what you were saying, a lot of your post was changed since yesterday.

People are inherently lazy, and it seems especially true of the snagger/rippers. They all congregate into holes that are easily accessible. You won't find them hiking very far.

I often fish a hole that is within eye shot of a very popular hole here on the Rogue. There will often be 20-30 people on each side of the river during the peak of the run, and yet I'll be fishing completely by myself. They see me walking out with fish, but because it's a 1/4 mile hike through the water no one ever ventures down there.

D
Drew9870
Not to argue, but there is a hole on the Sandy River up around Portland called Cedar Creek Fish Hatchery, it is a 1 mile downhill hike to the first fishable area of water (which of course means the way back is uphill :)), I'd say on average, the main hole in this area is 90% flossing. It all really depends on the likelyhood of flossing fish in a certain area, along with how many people know of the specific hole.

Another reason why you won't see people flossing a remote hole, is because most of the people in their right mind who know of these holes wouldn't recommend them to a flosser/snagger :lol:;).

F
Fish-N-Chips
If I argue with an idiot then that makes two of us:D

B
beaverfan
Drew9870 said:
If you are talking the hatchery hole on Three Rivers, I can assure you it was flossed, in my days of flossing, Three Rivers hatchery was hit the hardest, flossing is virtually the only way to catch them at the hatchery since the water is too fast and too shallow, unless one got lucky with a spinner or a plug, we used to sight floss them in the daytime hours.

Even if Salmon do eat bare corky's willingly, most of the fish are flossed.

Wow you really have no idea what the heck your talking about. The hatchery hole at three rivers is a great hole for several techniques. I was there when fishnchips caught the chinook and i can assure you it was NOT flossed. Since you were not there perhaps you should stop calling him a liar. (Indirectly)

A
AK Angler
halibuthitman said:
presentation is everything in steelhead and salmon fishing

Except for maybe when you're plunking. There doesn't seem to be much of an art to the presentation when plunking. Sure, things like where to cast and leader length can make a difference, but that's true for fishing in general. When plunking Corkies properly (e.g., not using a pole holder), the hookset is everything. You need lightening fast reflexes when plunking Corkies. If you don't hit them within about 0.4 seconds, most will get away.

When drifting (something other than a hook and small bead), I think presentation becomes a much bigger factor. But when plunking, heck... the thing is just sitting there. A fish has to seek it out, go out of their way to investigate or strike it. I don't know though, maybe the fish are trying to tell the source of their aggravation (the Corkies) to get the heck out of their hole — "I want to rest here in this calm pool, now GTF out!"

D
Drew9870
beaverfan said:
Wow you really have no idea what the heck your talking about. The hatchery hole at three rivers is a great hole for several techniques. I was there when fishnchips caught the chinook and i can assure you it was NOT flossed. Since you were not there perhaps you should stop calling him a liar. (Indirectly)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:, you have no idea what you are talking about if you say it is a great hole for several techniques, maybe the Heart Attack Hole. You seem to be one of those guys that will go out of his way to get at my throat, you always have been, you can't grow up and get a pair enough to ever make a civil comment towards me, if you disagree with something I say, you start bustin out on the keyboard.
oh and I wouldn't take ANY advice or **** from someone who isn't smart enough to not even go to three rivers.

FnC's, I am idiot now? Were you still in front of your computer when you made that comment? Really, most of your comments are humorous, because you sure do make the top 10 rebuttles of the year :lol:... NOT.

Last edited: