Bass on the fly!

Gunga
Gunga
So yesterday me and my uncle Mark went fly fishing at a secret pond we sneak off to once in awhile. Its a very small pond That is less then 1/4th am acre if even that. The water was very mucky and full of algea. I first started out with my go to panfish fly the pheasent tail flash back in size 18. They love em. First fish of the day was caught by accident. I had thrown out my leader and 2 feet of line in the water while i was stripping out more line to cast. Just as i started to cast i brought up a small 4 inch bluegill. I was laughing my ass off. after 10 minutes and no more fish i went to the other side of the pond where it was shady and switched to an adams dry. i caught a couple more and then my uncle started getting bass to lethargicly follow his big bunny buggers that were more of an attracter pattern then a natural pattern. I told him to switch to a more natural color. He refused saying they wouldnt work. So thats exactly what i did. i switched to an wolly bugger streemer. and the first couple casts WHAM i get a nice 10 1/2 inch bass. A BIG one for that small pond lol. My uncle was mad at that point cause he had been trying for awhile to catch one of those bass. he then switched to his homemade fly rod and it broke for the third time in the last week while casting. He got very frustrated then. We proceeded not to catch anymore fish at the pond. so we went to dairy creek and fished for about an hour. i broke off twice and called it quits and my uncle didn't catch anything there either. It wasn't a good day for Mark at all. We went to winco right after and some time after we loaded up the food we bought his grigg 3 weight fly rod got broke in the back of the jeep. Its non repairable. it was a good day for me but a bad day for my uncle. I wish i could make it up to him. Heres a couple pics of the bass.

• DSCN5264.jpg
  • DSCN5265.jpg
  • DSCN5263.jpg
S
Sinkline
Nice going! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Randy

Reactions: bigsteel
troutdude
troutdude
Nicely done YFT! Outfishing your elders, is always a hoot.

Sorry to hear, that your Uncle had such a rotten outing. That home made rod that broke 3 times...was it a "manufacturers defect"? If so, let us know the name of the company that made the blank--so we can avoid them!

Gunga
Gunga
Thanks! I dont know what company made it. He bought it off ebay.

troutdude
troutdude
OK. NBD. But, I'll bet that he won't buy one again.

Gunga
Gunga
He yelled it out that he wouldnt lol. I felt o bad though cause he put A LOT of work into it.

Reactions: Slick
S
Slick
You mean the rod is FUBAR? Nice job on the fly rod bass man.

Gunga
Gunga
Thanks slick! And ya the homemade rod was FUBAR.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yeah, the rod I wrapped up was a complete POS. My mistake for buying a cheap eBay blank (no manufacture info, no warranty, buyer beware type thing). Poorly made blank. It broke the first time practice casting in the back yard to determine the proper line for it. I repaired it. It broke again casting it to see how well it was fixed. Then i repaired it again. Then it broke an inch below the repaired section while fishing. Crapily made foriegn imported blank is all I know about it. Don't buy any blanks off eBay from a seller in Salida, California. They're junk, and they're NOT close to what is described in the ad. The 11' "3 weight" I bought along with this 11' "5 weight" was a pool cue. The 5 weight was described as a fast action - it wasn't close. Aside from number of sections, length, and blank color - the description on those blanks couldn't be further from the truth. Not worth the $20 (and for a few bucks more, I should've bought a Batson blank from Angler's Workshop. Then it would've had a warranty, and been a way better blank).