Fish finder

Markk
Markk
Looking to upgrade to a ff/gps combo. Any input?

Thanks
Mark

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I use a Lowrance Elite7-HDI on my kayak and love it. Screen is wide enough to display 83khz and 200khz side-by-side, great wide format display. worked great for kokes at GP last year and during the fall run on the Slaw, using both frequencies, I felt that I could differentiate between kings, cohos, and smaller fish (searuns and jacks). It would also be a great unit for displaying sonar and chart side-by-side. Looks like a $100 rebate would get you one for about $599 right now, maybe a little less...cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
rogerdodger said:
I use a Lowrance Elite7-HDI on my kayak and love it. Screen is wide enough to display 83khz and 200khz side-by-side, great wide format display. worked great for kokes at GP last year and during the fall run on the Slaw, using both frequencies, I felt that I could differentiate between kings, cohos, and smaller fish (searuns and jacks). It would also be a great unit for displaying sonar and chart side-by-side. Looks like a $100 rebate would get you one for about $599 right now, maybe a little less...cheers, roger
Thanks for the input. I have heard some of the Eliteseries have transducer problems, mainly losing the depth reading. Obviouslyyou have had no problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had any issuesor has heard of any? It is a really good price for all the features the Elite 7-HDIhas. Thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Markk said:
Thanks for the input. I have heard some of the Eliteseries have transducer problems, mainly losing the depth reading. Obviouslyyou have had no problems. I was wondering if anyone else has had any issuesor has heard of any? It is a really good price for all the features the Elite 7-HDIhas. Thanks

not sure if the Elite transducer issue was with earlier models, no problems with mine- the HDI uses a new special transducer for sonar (83/200) and downscanning (455/800), I think this transducer was introduced in early 2013 with the HDI models...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
I have the regular Elite 5, the stock transducer gets the job done, but I've heard that the aftermarket ones are much better. I may explore that option at some point.

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
when selecting my kayak sonar in early 2013 I had 2 things at the top of my list based on 2 years using an 8HDS-gen2 on our PB:

1- downscanning/sonar overlay (from a single transducer) to identify underwater structure.
2- enough resolution to display 2 frequencies or sonar-charting side-by-side.

Elite HDI series was introduced and that took care of the first item, then I checked screen resolution for the 3 HDI sizes:

4- 480h x 272w
5- 480h x 480w
7- 480h x 800w

cheers, roger

Markk
Markk
I bought the Elite7-HDI. It seemed to offer more features for the $ and it looks to be more user friendly than the competition...