Gas for salt time

M
mikeredding
Ok, I am getting a lot of inquiries about fishing in exchange for fuel.

I am just curious as to what some of you think a trip is worth.
We are talking about the works here. All bait and gear included.

Obviously I cannot charge a person because I am not a licensed guide.
So we are talking about donations for fuel.

Throw me some numbers, I will not be offended. Just curious.

E
eugene1
Seems like too many variables to put a number on it. Tuna vs. salmon for example will use different amounts of fuel.

Why not just gas up afterwards and divide by the number of people.

Best,

Irishrover
Irishrover
To avoid problems with being tagged as a guide, I like the start with the tanks topped off, then top them off after the trip and split it. Regarding the bait folks should chip in on that too. I just put a half case of black lable herring in the freezer. That cost $50, or $100 for a full case. The rest of the cost I just accept is mine. But having folks pitch in for gas and bait goes along way and creats a team!

F
FishFinger
I love halibut fishing! I've gone on many charters with prices ranging from $180.00 to $240.00 for a 12 hr run. As Eugene mentioned there are a lot of variables, including the correct gear. As a guess for a non licensed guide, $100.00 to $150.00 would be a fair amount for a crew of friends sharing a percentage the costs of an ocean adventure.

T
troutmasta
I got 100 + beverages
200 if there's room for 2

H
HereFishy
I've been thinking about becoming a guide. Lots of hoops to jump through first. Business license, Marine Merchant License from the Coast Guard, first aid and cpr classes, 1 million dollars of liability insurance. All before ODFW (or maybe it's the state of Oregon) gives you your license to guide. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I only skimmed the requirements since it'll be quite a while before I'm ready to take the plunge. So don't quote me on this stuff. Seems like your "I'm technically not a guide, but I do accept donations for consumables", might not be a bad way to go.

Depending on how far out you go and what you're targeting, ~$100 a head seems reasonable.

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you do go out more than 20 miles as a guide it's required to have a self inflating life raft. Those are not inexpensive, and they need to be recertified every couple of years at about about $1,500 bucks a pop.

I still have my Merchant Marine Documents, but I don't think a 1967 endorcement as a watertender/fireman/oiler would mean a heck of a lot to the coast guard for a guide license.:lol:

F
FishFinger
Aren't guides also now folded into the Department of Homeland Security too?

M
mikeee2362
I would toss in a C note and food for a trip with you....as a donation of course. I wont require you to bring a life raft either. PM me anytime.

M
mikeredding
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I will definitely contact some of you if I end up having a seat open in the future.