Anybody been doing any good lately for salmon or steelhead?

N
natro
I was just curious if anybody has been fishing or had any luck lately on the river for salmon or steelhead. I haven't had a chance to get out there for the last 3 weeks or so, well, except for today and yesterday. Today I got out there around 5pm. As you can see by the pic, it was really packed with people.

• 0822111754.jpg
F
flipper
Haven't been out there in over a week. While I was down there, that exact spot had about 5-6 people fishing. Only saw one fish caught.

D
DYJ
I think the hotter weather has slowed down the bite. I slept in on Sunday and left the house @ 6:30AM. I figured I would have to head down river to get a spot.... when I got there @ 7:00AM there was one other guy all the way down at the bend. I fished till 10:30AM drifting eggs, corkies, corkies and yarn, Steally stalker UV yarn balls, yarn balls with egs, worn with corky, worm alone. After all that and not even a nibble, I set off on my way home to do yard work. Around 5:00PM I was done with my chores so I went to Dexter.... even less people up there and still nothing biting.

Reactions: flipper
R
rippin fish lips
DYJ i think i mighta saw u there? i was there b 4 anyone was lol, got there a littleearly :eek: it was still dark so i claimed my spot. then 7 and 7:30 rolled around and there was 2 others. might have been you? i was walkin down river and casting spoons green chest waders with the gold ol tan vest.

Natro but to answer your question, it has really slowed down with this heat. Go out in this cooler weather that we are gettin now, early in the mornings when its really cool, you may pick up a fish or two :eek: I have been skunked the last 2 weeks with 5 fish lost and a buddy picked a 27 incher up the other day. Either way you aren't wasting time if you go! BTW i saw some nice lookin late run springers jumpin that werent so bronzed up as the other ones.

D
DYJ
Probably was me, I stayed high on the hole right by where the picture was takin by Natro. I always have my yellow backpack and I weat tan breathabe waders...

R
rippin fish lips
If u have long hait and a crhome and blue net, then it was you! but not gunne hi-jack this thread. I have been fishing lower, everwhere on the mac, seein them roll and go after my presentations but they wont hit worth crap!

D
DYJ
Not me....I'm done fishing up there till the weather cools down a bit... Then bit should pick up then. For the next 2-3 weeks I'm doing a roof and a fence that I have been puting off all sumer... and maybe 1 or 2 fall nook trips f I can sneak em in there.:D

Last edited:
B
bran_man
I went out sat, sun and Mon and caught fish all 3 trips. It has been pretty slow for all the other fellow anglers though from what I saw. But I'm still doing great. Seemed like I was the only one getting action. Everyone just left after an hour or 2 of no action. On Saturday, me and my dad went out mid- day and we caught a big late spring nook that was still fresh and def a keeper! We also caught a cookie cutter and a bigger boy and then sunday and Monday one was caught each day with a few misses in between. There in there still

D
DYJ
dang.... you obviously know something I don't. LOL Nice work. You guys have a drift boat right?

B
bran_man
DYJ said:
dang.... you obviously know something I don't. LOL Nice work. You guys have a drift boat right?

Nope just fishing off the banks. I just know the mckenzie quite well. Being able to read summer steel water helps too....

N
natro
I'm debating on maybe heading out there for a few hours early tomorrow morning...when it will be a bit cooler. I know a guy who uses those little party shrimp and I guess does pretty well, even in the later part of the run. Might give those a try.

T
Thuggin4Life
No offense but if your still fishing for springers you are retarded. theyre half dead. darker than my black oots and taste like ****, smell worse and just because they are a shade of reddish orangish pinkish when you cut them doesn't make them a table fare or even a smoker fare. On top of that there are ocean fresh fall chinook in just about every river along the oregon coast. But as far as summerw are concerend this heat defently will be slowing down the bite a bit I would go really small with the low clear water and try to fish early in the morning.

R
rippin fish lips
idk thuggin!:p i was watching for some later run springers and i saw a few jump/roll right next to me that looked good! But yeah you got a good point with the fall chinook and coho! :p

N
natro
rippin fish lips said:
idk thuggin!:p i was watching for some later run springers and i saw a few jump/roll right next to me that looked good! But yeah you got a good point with the fall chinook and coho! :p

Those 2 days I was up there I saw salmon rolling too. They definitely weren't chrome of course but they also weren't black by any means and obviously had plenty of life in them. Down there below the hatchery from my experience people catch a whole lot more steelhead than salmon there, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to keeping a decent salmon. But, like I said before the catch rate where I fish is more geared for the steelhead, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Last edited:
B
bran_man
Thuggin4Life said:
No offense but if your still fishing for springers you are retarded. theyre half dead. darker than my black oots and taste like ****, smell worse and just because they are a shade of reddish orangish pinkish when you cut them doesn't make them a table fare or even a smoker fare. On top of that there are ocean fresh fall chinook in just about every river along the oregon coast. But as far as summerw are concerend this heat defently will be slowing down the bite a bit I would go really small with the low clear water and try to fish early in the morning.

Well yeah obviously. It just so happened that this one in particular was still in good shape. Def not a fresh chromer but it wasn't close to turning yet at all. I never fish the MAC with the intention of targeting salmon, but its always a fun little surprise when I get one one. Fun fight then a quick release.