Any one have first hand experience with either rod?

C
CrappieCrazy
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum - wasn't sure, so just guessed!

So I am new to the salmon scene and have been doing my research.
I have had someone recommend the Loomis - SAR 1084 - 9' @ $285 as the best choice for my first salmon rod.
Someone else countered with "not getting hung up on brand name" and suggested the Shimano Clarus - CSS90H2B - 9' @ $109 as an equal choice.
Any and all input would be great from anyone who might have experience with either? Both?
I'll be fishing from the bank and looking for a spinning reel to match.

Thanks,

CrappieCrazy and Salmon Clueless

W
wozniasm
Oh! You're talking about fishing...
Never mind!

C
CrappieCrazy
Bad dog! Bad dog!

O
OnTheDrop
I've fished both. The Loomis is top notch and the Clarus is a workhorse with a lifetime warranty.

If I were starting out I'd grab the Clarus. If money isn't an issue get the Loomy!

M
mikeee2362
Woz...Woz...Woz...:lol:

C
Combat Chuck
If I were to look back at when I started... I'd tell myself to buy the cheaper one but TWO setups! We all know you're going to end up there anyways ;) I always carry two from the bank... and a dozen in my boat! :D

J
JeannaJigs
Combat Chuck said:
If I were to look back at when I started... I'd tell myself to buy the cheaper one but TWO setups! We all know you're going to end up there anyways ;) I always carry two from the bank... and a dozen in my boat! :D

Yep....after I had every single piece of salmon and steelhead gear I owned stolen....I quit the high end rods. Now if someone steals my gear or it breaks...I won't have another mental breakdown. Seriously, my neighbors probably wanted to have me committed after my breakdown in the middle of the street when I discovered everything gone. Last fall I had a rod and reel go for a swim...never to be seen again. Some words were uttered, there may have been a hand gesture to the river gods that ate it...but 10 minutes later I was fishing another rod and forgot about it...welll....mostly...I still would like to get that curado back, but the rod was just a broomstick celilo.

M
mikeee2362
JeannaJigs said:
I still would like to get that curado back, but the rod was just a broomstick celilo.

Jeanna are you calling my broomstick a Celilo?

C
CrappieCrazy
Thanks for the advice...I am leaning toward the cheaper rig since I don't know what I'm doing. "Two setups" - can you elaborate more on that topic..?

E
eugene1
Good idea to save some money.

Two setups... Like two different rod and reel combos. One rigged up for drift fishing and the other rigged for float fishing- for example.

Good luck,

CrappieCrazy said:
Thanks for the advice...I am leaning toward the cheaper rig since I don't know what I'm doing. "Two setups" - can you elaborate more on that topic..?

C
CrappieCrazy
Got ya....I've read so many guides and watched so many videos recently my head is swimming. Thanks for all the advice.!

J
JeannaJigs
CrappieCrazy said:

What Eugene said just Having different rods for different applications. My boat looks like a porcupine with all the rods sticking out the back. There's always a backbouncer/plug rod, spinner rod, drift rod, a bead rod, a jig rod, a bobber and egg rod. Spring/summer is brutal because you're fishing for two completely different species and each requires different setups for different situations. And those are just my rods, not counting the person up front's rods lol. Boat fishing is a different game because you're covering way more water.

M
mikeee2362
I always have 3 rods from the bank. Float, drift, and a spinner setup. Like Jeanna said, you will be able to cover all types of water and not spend all day retying.

S
steelhead_stalkers
One rod, one rig, call it a day! :lol: