Mercer Lake

M
Markpunzel
New to fishing and going camping up at mercer lake in Florence. Anyone know of good spots to fish or what to use?

T
TTFishon
If it were me I'd toss Thomas lures or gold Little Cleos. Are you banking it or using a boat?

troutdude
troutdude
Exactly what TT said.

But if you have a boat; I'd suggest heading a few minutes south and putting into Siltcoos. More variety of species, and larger trout! I can attach a map of Siltcoos, with more suggestions, if you like.

M
Markpunzel
Ya that would be awesome troutdude. I will be doing boat and bank fishing

J
JeannaJigs
Mercer has awesome perch fishing, one of the better Florence area lakes and huge bass. Jig those little crappie jigs in yellow or white and you will catch a ton of perch

troutdude
troutdude
Markpunzel said:
Ya that would be awesome troutdude. I will be doing boat and bank fishing

Here ya go. For trout trolling, I'd launch into the Kiechle Arm from the ramp there on the north end. If no luck there, then jet down to Booth Island, and troll between the West Lake boat ramp point past Booth Island, and down to Rocky Point. This time of year, it won't hurt to also troll in front of creek inlets too.

If all else fails...anchor up just outside of the weed near Butterfly Island (back up north). Toss a bobber out, with a worm and reel in very slowly. BAM! Perch city!

Let us know how you do!

Siltcoos color map.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we have found over the last few years that Siltcoos has gone dead for trout fishing. someone might have contrary info, but if you check the planting schedule, they cut it way back several years ago (I think to protect the small coho that get retained by mistake as 'shiny trout')...Perch yes. trout based on our trips the last 2 summers, no. Munsel in Florence is smaller, deep, and gets lots more trout planted in it. cheers, roger

D
damon
Mercer Lake is a great place! There is only one public access at the back side of the lake which includes a small ramp. I've been to Mercer Lake Resort many times most recently a month ago. Due to unfortunate circumstances we weren't able to fish that trip so I can't report. However, I would highly recommend the resort. The wnesr are fantastic hosts, and more importantly it's VERY reasonable priced. Heck, they have boat rentals for $50 a day. Those area lakes are my favorite at the coast hands down.

M
Markpunzel
I did really well for the two days I went I caught 7 trout each day with worms I went to mercer lake and rented a boat.

troutdude
troutdude
Right on. Post some pics, if you've got 'em.