Where to fish for sturgeon now

F
fishingfool
Now that sturgeon fishing is closed from lake o rr bridge up where is the best place to fish for sturgeon bank and or boat i have only fished by the west linn bridge and up thanks for any help

H
HereFishy
I've always had luck around Cathedral Park (about a half mile upstream on the same side of the river as the boat ramp to be exact). I can give a more detailed description of where my honey hole is if you're interested. Last weekend my buddy and I hooked in to about 20 and we actually boated 13. The weekend before that, my dad and I hooked in to about 15 and actually boated 9. Herring seems to work the best (not the pickled herring, the whole ones that come in the foam tray.) I'd be interested to hear how you do if you make it out that way. Good luck.

Tight lines,
Kyle

bass
bass
Elk rock island, both up and downstream from Sellwood, around mouth of Swan Island harbor, Toyota hole (near Cathedral), Multnomah Channel, etc. The number of spots is almost endless.

If you look on any of the river charts and look for any relatively deeper spots there will be fish in and around those areas. The fish are not always in deep water but there are almost always fish in or near the deeper holes.

Reactions: eugene1
F
fishingfool
thanks so much bass
:thumb:

S
Socaaron
In my experience Herring will out fish almost any other bait this time of year. Why you ask...because what do most do when you're done trolling that cut plug or whole herring, take it off the hook and toss it overboard.
Lots of fisherman targeting springers=lots of easy food for sturgeon, so as there tends to be a lot of it in the water they seem to lean towards herring.
My two cents

F
fishingfool
Socaaron said:
In my experience Herring will out fish almost any other bait this time of year. Why you ask...because what do most do when you're done trolling that cut plug or whole herring, take it off the hook and toss it overboard.
Lots of fisherman targeting springers=lots of easy food for sturgeon, so as there tends to be a lot of it in the water they seem to lean towards herring.
My two cents

Never thought of it that thanks for the info

T
thongprong
HereFishy? You "boated" how many? I sure hope you meant "got 'em close to the boat and released 'em".

H
HereFishy
thongprong said:
HereFishy? You "boated" how many? I sure hope you meant "got 'em close to the boat and released 'em".

Yes thongprong. That is exactly what I meant (no a sarcasm intended). By "boated", I meant "got to the boat". I'd say that 80% of the fish were released without ever leaving the water. In all honesty, 3 or 4 had to actually come in to the boat for about 60 seconds so I could see what I was doing with the hemostats (tricky hooks). But rest assured that every fish went on his way, no worse for wear..... except for a barbless hook hole in his sucker.