Flies for sunfish

S
sapo
What flies work on bluegills? Right now my selection is limited and I only have: Wooly Bugger, Adams, and Pheasant Tail. Does any of those work on sunfish? Thanks!

bass
bass
I have not fly fished for panfish in a long time, but pretty much any small fly always worked for me. Any small natural-ish looking nymph or wet fly was good, ants and other terrestrials are great, my favorites back in PA and NC were popping bugs. The smaller the fly the more fish you will catch but the deeper they swallow it and the harder they are to unhook.

B
Big3d
Try the adams fly in st.louis ponds. You may be surprised at how many tiny bluegill will hop on it. Maybe the wooly bugger at hagg lake where the bluegill are much bigger. I agree about terrestrials of many kinds being good. I'm not a fly fisherman, but have caught bluegill on a similar fly to your adams under a bobber at st.louis! Good luck sapo. One of these days perhaps we can toss some lines!

Troutski
Troutski
Ants...

Ants...

Black and red ants.... Sugar for Sun fish......

Chuck

G
grizzlynitemare
Big3d said:
Try the adams fly in st.louis ponds. You may be surprised at how many tiny bluegill will hop on it. Maybe the wooly bugger at hagg lake where the bluegill are much bigger. I agree about terrestrials of many kinds being good. I'm not a fly fisherman, but have caught bluegill on a similar fly to your adams under a bobber at st.louis! Good luck sapo. One of these days perhaps we can toss some lines!

This. Not sure the type of fly it is, as I'm not a flyfisherman either, but I have a couple small yellow and white flies that always seem to catch bluegill.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I strip hares ears and pheasant tails and do well.

I
igquick

The end of the video shows what I use. I hope this helps

S
SailCat
The best I've found is a crazy combination of fluorescent chenille body with red maribou for the tale and "hackle." The latter is a little challenging to tie as it can;t be wrapped but rather lengths must be tied in place to simulate hackle. Bluegills sure seem to go for it though. This is a pattern from Herter (if anyone else is old enough to remember them, their books and that big catalog).