Chasing fall chinook on Thursday!!

R
rippin fish lips
So stoked! So last year my last trip for fallies i put a coho and 2 nooks in the boat! ofcourse the coho went back in the drank. I know what bait im gunna use and know the speeds and everything.

But i got a question since every year is different.

1) are they biting on herring more then sardines right now, i keep hearing that everyone is using herring right now and they are hitting herring hard. is that true???

2) I do know for a fact that the run has started earlier this year, therefor more fish will be up river more but still in tidewater... I know it would prolly be a good idea to get as close to the jaws as we can in our 22 foot fiberglass sea ray hah! we have done it before. I think we may have more luck closer to the jaws tho???

3) We are not really focusing on the coho... but with the new regulation change of being able to tag (1) wild coho salmon this year, im pretty stoked! The 1rst coho hooked is goin on the tag!

Also... i will take some pictures of how we rigged our boat up to be able to hold 3 rod holders and a net with out going through the fiberglass! Last year we had to hold our rods which was fun! This year tho... with the rod holders we should hook more fish cuz of less resistance!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Coho doesn't open until the 15th, so probably thursday will be a catch and release day.

Herring has been working for me, per-say. But have heard good things about sardines... my opinion; a good bite is a good bite. Ive drug herring around for over an hour before when it got hit, and I am sure there wasn't much of a scent trail at all, its a visual thing.

Best bites that I have seen are on the out going tides, and during the tide swaps.

Plenty of fish high in the systems.

Reactions: bigsteel
R
rippin fish lips
RunWithSasquatch said:
Coho doesn't open until the 15th, so probably thursday will be a catch and release day.

Herring has been working for me, per-say. But have heard good things about sardines... my opinion; a good bite is a good bite. Ive drug herring around for over an hour before when it got hit, and I am sure there wasn't much of a scent trail at all, its a visual thing.

Best bites that I have seen are on the out going tides, and during the tide swaps.

Plenty of fish high in the systems.

Yeah i looked at the regs after i posted that and saw that about the coho! Catch and release is fine wit me! You are right about "a good bite is a good bite."

I just hope this heat wont knock the bite off, i don't think it will since it is always a lot cooler on the coast.

Is 1rst legal at 5:30am?

Reactions: bigsteel
R
RunWithSasquatch
Its around 6, I believe.

R
rippin fish lips
RunWithSasquatch said:
Its around 6, I believe.

k! we will prolly launch at 5:30 then

A
alseaalumaweld
30 mins before sun rise. sun rise is 6:4 so at 6;15 you can start fishing

T
Thuggin4Life
1 hour before sunrise and it changes daily. just google it. I wouldn't fish the jaws but to each his own. tons of fish scattered through the systems right now. seems like the sun hasn't hampered too much. can't really say which tide has been the best since each time its been different when it seemed to turn on. i would just fish all day to be sure you covered everything.

M
Mad dog
RunWithSasquatch said:
Its around 6, I believe.

5:42am in Roseburg yesterday morning....the days are getting shorter in a hurry now though so legal time will change daily.

R
rippin fish lips
Mad dog said:
....the days are getting shorter in a hurry now though so legal time will change daily.

yeah i dont like it!! wish we could control daylight! haha. i have about 8 diff spots in mind to troll through on thursday. I'm pretty positive we will put some fish in the boat. Gunna cruise around and search the bottom for the deeper pools, start trolling above the deeper pools then as we troll through drop the gear down right on the fish. I got a game plan and im pretty confident that it will work!

R
rippin fish lips
12 hours till we leave!! ahhh!! 12 hours isn't that long but i dontwanan wait those 12 hours!
anyone have any success this last few days?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Further you build it, the further the fall...

can't wait for your report. Good luck in the morning. Hope you guys pound a few!

P
plumb2fish
If you can find fresh blue or green label sardines, I suggest that you take both. If not herring have been working as there are no sardines this year to speak of.
If you are gonna fish the whole incoming out by the jaws might be the ticket for the first few hours. I would stay between the picket fence and the trestle the last 2 hours of incoming until 2 hrs into the out going.
I hooked fish in 12' of water, 18' of water and 29' of water all at high slack on herring...
Put your bait in front of an aggressive fish and hope the seals aren't too close...
Good Fishing....

T
Thuggin4Life
orrt had sardines last time i was in there.

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
orrt had sardines last time i was in there.

good! we plan on getting sardines! what time does the bait shop open at the ramp in old town? that is where we get them at. gettin so close!! ahhhh i should prolyl go to bed since i am driving there but i can't!

I
ibelieveinfitness
New to this & have a couple questions...

1. Can one catch salmon from the shore?

2. If so, where?

N
ninja2010
ibelieveinfitness said:
New to this & have a couple questions...

1. Can one catch salmon from the shore?

2. If so, where?

1. yes, you can...

2. any river that has a salmon run. make a trip - observe and learn from peeps who fish from the bank, ask the locals on what, when and how...

oh, and welcome to the forum.

I
ibelieveinfitness
Thanks Ninja! I will!

T
Thuggin4Life
I never try to hope that bait isn't sold out at the ramp. specially during the season that the bait is being used. nothing like pulling up to a boat ramp and trying to buy bait at the dock only to find that they are sold out due to high demand from everyone fishing that area. and the only other store in town doesn't open for another 3 hours. dont make us wait report asap.

R
rippin fish lips
It was a slow day, 12 hours fo non stop fishing and we went home with the herrying we had bought, wait actually... we went through 4 flats of different sized herring and in a few different brines, we were gettin a few hits here and there, none stuck tho! The fish seem bigger this year. We put out everything we had for them to. i did manage to catch 2 smolts tho, so i guess i didn't get skunked, just got skunded with the big fish!! Still love trolling for fall salmon and will never give up on it. Andy i will be hitting you up when we get a good cool spell and or rain!!