Summer steelhead-Siletz and Nestucca

S
sapo
I was wondering what months summer steelhead are present in the Nestucca and Siletz? I'm wondering what time this summer would be the best to go. Any methods for these rivers, or summer steelhead in general? Thanks!

S
sapo
Sorry I posted this in the wrong zone, my mistake.

C
chrisohm
All methods work, Moonshine park is your best bet. Not sure why you aren't fishing it right now...have a friend that lives there and guides that river. Lots of fish.

S
sapo
Oh cool, haven't had time to fish it lately so up until what month are the steelhead in the river?

C
chrisohm
Winter run is just about over but they still have chrome fish coming in. The summer run is trickling in right now and for fall nooks you need to wait until about August. Get out there soon or after the next good rainstorm. Not sure about springers but from I have been told some strays make their way in.

troutdude
troutdude
The Siletz is known for having at least some Steel in it, every month of the year. But of course, there are peaks to the runs too. Like Chris said, the summers are starting now. June and again in September and October, are the peaks.

BTW. The Siletz and 'Tucca often vie, for the honors of "third best" summer run streams each year. The only streams that outproduce them--which are larger and longer streams--are the Rogue and the N. Umpqua.

If you're interested, I may have maps that I can post.

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
BTW. The Siletz and 'Tucca often vie, for the honors of "third best" summer run streams each year. The only streams that outproduce them--which are larger and longer streams--are the Rogue and the N. Umpqua.

I don't have any stats, but I can't imagine the Tuc producing more fish than the Clack or Sandy or Deschutes.

Not that I haven't caught plenty there. Mostly a early/late show once the water gets warm and clear.

troutdude
troutdude
Guess the source I got that from, could be somewhat out dated. Or...maybe it was strictly a run comparison of the coastal streams only?

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
In my "unbiased" opinion the Siletz is the best fishing river in the state :D

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
Guess the source I got that from, could be somewhat out dated. Or...maybe it was strictly a run comparison of the coastal streams only?

I would think the Siletz would easily be #3 for coastal drainages, since it's one of 3 (?) that have a native summer run, the others being the two you listed. And very few others even have hatchery runs.

I've never fished the Siletz for summers. It has to be easier than the max-stealth, 5AM Nestucca fishery.

troutdude
troutdude
Sapo; this is from Tuesday's ODFW Recreation Report:

NESTUCCA RIVER AND THREE RIVERS: steelhead, Chinook

Fishing for winter steelhead is fair. Most winter steelhead are dark or have spawned, but an occasional bright fish is still around, especially with a few early summer steelhead in the mix. Spring Chinook should begin to show in small numbers, with tidewater your best bet early in the season. Trolling herring near the mouth or bobber fishing in upper tidewater are the preferred techniques.

SILETZ RIVER: steelhead

Steelhead fishing is slow. Native steelhead tend to be more prevalent in the fishery this time of year. The winter steelhead run is wrapping up with few quality fish around. Look for the summer steelhead return to begin transitioning into the fishery any time over the next month. Good numbers typically start showing up in the fishery and trapping sites around the first of June. The best bank access is from Moonshine Park up to the deadline.