Visiting for Thanksgiving.

C
cericr
Hey all,

I am coming up to visit my brother, who recently moved to Newberg, for thanksgiving. I was wondering if I could get any suggestions from you guys for fly fishign up there. Are there any good places to fly fish close to Portland? What seems to work best this time of year up in Oregon. Any suggestions or Advice would be gladly accepted. And if you are ever down in Utah, I will gladly return the favor.

Thanks ,

cericr

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum, cericr! Are you planning on going after trout or something bigger? There are numerous lakes/streams in the area, be sure to check the regulations to see which are legally open this time of year. I don't have a copy here with me right now, but getting the info on which ones are open and getting your out of state license is invaluable. I'm sure the fly folks up there will chime in once they get home for dinner this evening. Again, welcome!

M
Moe
Like barb said, I'm sure the fly fishers will chime in once you specify what you are after... Steelhead? Trout?

C
cericr
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely make sure I find out which areas are legal and open. I am also planning on getting either a 2 or 3 day fishing license. I will probably start with a 1 day and see how the fishing is. As for what I am targeting, I have mainly gone after trout here in Utah. So I was thinking about targeting trout, but I am also very open to targeting other species too. Steelhead and any others that might be a good option this time of year. I would love to get into some fish beside trout. Especially since I really only have the option of trout here in Utah. Thanks guys!

D
donb
I've never been to this place, but they used to run an ad on OFF. It's a private lake in Newberg and is very reasonably priced. May be a good alternative for you.

Good luck, hope you have a good time visiting the area.

C
cericr
donb Thanks. I will definitely check that out. Quick question for all who read this. I just got done reading the regulations for the Williamette zone. From what I understand targeting trout except for lakes is out of the question. What species can I still target around the Newberg/ Portland area? Are their any species I can target in the Yamhill/ Williamette rivers on the fly?