Just recently started fishing bass this spring

H
huabrandon
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. Currently live near the hillsboro area. Just recently started bass fishing this spring. Been fishing since I was 8 but never knew there was bass around here until last year. During may I went out to Hagg lake and caught my first bass! (Picture holding it). Also caught a smaller one my next trip after that but i forgot to take a picture of it :wall:. Well anyways, decided to check out Bethany Lake for the first time, seeing that many people talk about it. Went on the opposite side of the bridge (across of 185th) and caught another bass in the shallow side! haha. But as of right now, these are all the bass I have been able to catch. All three using a crank bait.

Just thought I'd share my personal experiences. Hopefully I can get out and catch some more! Thinking of trying the St. Louis ponds soon. Any other places nearby I should consider checking out? Been to commonwealth. But like Bethany, weeds and algae are snagging my baits :confused:

• image.jpg
  • photo.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: igquick
H
huabrandon
Not sure why my photos are to the side. Sorry guys!

F
fish4life
Bass fishing at St Louis ponds is pretty tough, if you do go fish pond 6 and go early. If your just catching and releasing the Willamette has bass, you will probably have better luck there. I use leadhead jigs with 3" rubber bodies, chartruse has been good for me. good luck

H
huabrandon
Where along the Willamette is a easy accessible area and known for bass? Always wanted to try out there.

F
fish4life
Mary s Young park, George Rogers park, Meldrum bar, Clackemette park, Maybe even off the dock by the falls. I ussually fish out of a boat but have caught a few off of the bank. All of these areas are within close proximity of each other do some exploring and maybe you will find a good spot.

Reactions: Raincatcher
bass
bass
In addition to what fish4life said you can fish around most of the boat ramps. One of my favorite shore spots is Willamette park in West Linn where the Tualatin dumps into the Willamette. You can catch bass around there most days. There are also panfish in the area which is nice. The water is fairly shallow and rocky (snaggy) so think about fishing with inexpensive stuff. Most of the bass I catch there are 1' or less, but it is a blast with an ultralight.

H
HereFishy
If you're coming from Hillsboro and going all the way to St. Louis in search of bass, you could go a little further and hit up Minto Brown park in Salem. There are sloughs OFF of the Willy there that are looking pretty good for bass. Lots of structure developing. There's a prime slough right past the last parking spot. I went yesterday. I was targeting trout or I'd have a bass report for you. I can almost guarantee there are bass in there. If not, I guess I REALLY can't read water and I'll hang my rods up for good..

Happy Fishing,
Kyle

H
huabrandon
Thanks for the advice guys! What are most of you guys using for bass?

H
HereFishy
I prefer to throw spinner baits and skirted jigs. It really depends on the presentation that the bass want to go after.

ooth23
ooth23
huabrandon said:
Where along the Willamette is a easy accessible area and known for bass? Always wanted to try out there.
good Banks access from the Dundee Kayak launch I have caught some bass in that slough. Bank access is good from the launch in Dayton fairly popular spot for folks fishing for Bass from the Bank. If your coming from Hillsboro you can take hwy 47 out to 99 and head up through Dayton and hit the Wheatland Ferry boat launch and try there good access. Also a little known area that has several speacies is the Donkey Ponds in Dayton. Head out hwy 221 and turn left on Mallard Ln several small ponds left over from the old quary that flooded back in the 90's they left it alone and now several fish populate those ponds. Bass/Sturgeon/catfish and anything else is in the Willy. The ponds sit about 500 feet from the Willy and you can actually walk over to the the river. Google Map it and you will see

H
HereFishy
ooth23 said:
good Banks access from the Dundee Kayak launch I have caught some bass in that slough. Bank access is good from the launch in Dayton fairly popular spot for folks fishing for Bass from the Bank. If your coming from Hillsboro you can take hwy 47 out to 99 and head up through Dayton and hit the Wheatland Ferry boat launch and try there good access. Also a little known area that has several speacies is the Donkey Ponds in Dayton. Head out hwy 221 and turn left on Mallard Ln several small ponds left over from the old quary that flooded back in the 90's they left it alone and now several fish populate those ponds. Bass/Sturgeon/catfish and anything else is in the Willy. The ponds sit about 500 feet from the Willy and you can actually walk over to the the river. Google Map it and you will see

I've had pretty good luck at Wheatland Ferry.. There's a small eddy with some underwater structure created by a rock wall and the boat ramp itself. Every time I look at it, I say to myself "there has to be a couple bass in there." I have yet to try and target my imaginary bass. But there's GOTTA be a couple.. Lots of Pikeminnow in that area.. One day they were all I could manage to hook. Drifting a worm and a couple corkys off the bottom has worked best for me there. One more thing. It's a pay parking lot. So bring 3 bucks.

Happy Fishing,
Kyle

H
huabrandon
Loving the advice guys. Definitely have to head out to some of these places soon since i'm officially out of school! Went to Hagg Lake yesterday. Caught a little 12" large mouth by the dome near boat ramp c on a crank bait. Went to try at Scoggin's Creek and saw LOTS of bass chilling in a deeper part of the creek where the flow wasn't fast. Couldn't manage to hook one though. Threw cranks, plastics, spinners, EVERYTHING. They followed but didn't seem interested. All seemed to be above 10". Saw a few that looked around 15". Sadly. had a allergic reaction to the pollen so I had to end the day early.

L
Liphooked
nightcrawler with bass sent (chartreuse). Throw that at them for about an hour. Then run a senko through there (wacky Rigged). This method has caught me bigger and better fish every time. On Columbia and hagg. I only started this year on bass. If you spook them right off the worm brings them back you just can't throw crankbaits cause it spooks them from the bank. The worm slowly stays in their face and they bite the worm off. They have took the worm down but mostly they just hit it cause it's getting to close. Then I throw the senko on top of them and with-in 5 throws I get one! every time. If some else fishes bass and I can be corrected please do. I have just noticed these small things while hunting bass. They are territorial so I like to poke at them first and then drop something on them. Makes them mad as hell!