We should do this here.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
not sure about the Willamette Zone but Cormorant population reduction might be coming to the coast:

from the COASTAL MULTI-SPECIES CONSERVATION AND
MANAGEMENT PLAN (CMP) review draft, page 25:

UNDERSTANDING AND MANAGING PREDATION

Predation on adult salmonids by marine mammals and on juveniles by non-native fish,
marine mammals, and avian predators is a matter of significant biological and social
concern. It may possibly be limiting many wild populations and significantly affecting the
angling experience and Oregon’s hatchery fish investment.

The CMP identifies basin-specific actions to address predation, but control of predators is
likely to remain an on-going management concern. Where marine mammals and birds are
concerned, Oregon currently has limited authority to do more than monitor and haze the
animals. Marine mammals are protected and managed under the federal Marine Mammal
Protection Act. Most predacious birds are protected and managed under the international
Migratory Bird Treaty Act. For non-native fish predation, effective means of control have not
been established. Key management actions include:

---Actively pursue research to document impacts to wild and hatchery populations.

---Seek federal permission to engage active predator management wherever such actions
are expected to be effective, including pursue a lethal take permit to manage cormorants.

---Haze predators in cooperation with volunteers.

---Support restoration of habitat that supports salmonids (including for predators of
predators, e.g., bald eagles).

---Control non-native fish to the extent possible.

M
mosd
id like to see it especially at siltcoos lake, there use to be a awesome perch fishery there up until the cormorants showed up and basically wiped out the fish population... prob is odfw is to liberal and scared to do such a thing cause of getting sued once again from some bird loving audabon society or wildlife support group even though those damn cormorants are a invasive species and are some how protected?!?!?!

J
JonT
mosd said:
id like to see it especially at siltcoos lake, there use to be a awesome perch fishery there up until the cormorants showed up and basically wiped out the fish population... prob is odfw is to liberal and scared to do such a thing cause of getting sued once again from some bird loving audabon society or wildlife support group even though those damn cormorants are a invasive species and are some how protected?!?!?!

From the article: States considering management measures, such as Texas and Oregon, have contacted South Carolina DNR officials for details surrounding their recent—and for hunters, very successful—season.

M
mosd
JonT said:
From the article: States considering management measures, such as Texas and Oregon, have contacted South Carolina DNR officials for details surrounding their recent—and for hunters, very successful—season.

they wont, doesn't matter if they check into it or not, they wont due to being sued once again

M
Modest_Man
mosd said:

Yeah! Lets kill off a native species for preying on an invasive species! Since when have double crested cormorants been invasive?

D
DrTheopolis
I don't think either "liberal" nor "invasive" mean what mosd thinks they do.

M
mosd
Gotta love bird lovers on this group..

D
DrTheopolis
What's not to love about birds? Cormorants (a non-invasive, native species) and salmon got along just fine for many thousands of years, as did pikeminnow and salmon.

On the other hand, while I don't have a personal problem with perch, they're an invasive species that doesn't belong here, and competes with native fish.

Does that help?

M
mosd
I love birds too stuffed an mounted on my wall lol.. perch invasive species? But there so good just like the rest of there warm water kin aka ditch pickels, blue gill, crappie etc

M
Modest_Man
DrTheopolis said:
What's not to love about birds? Cormorants (a non-invasive, native species) and salmon got along just fine for many thousands of years, as did pikeminnow and salmon.

On the other hand, while I don't have a personal problem with perch, they're an invasive species that doesn't belong here, and competes with native fish.

Does that help?

I agree with this guy.

On a tangent, stumbled across the head of a peamouth along the Willamette on Friday. If you're going to kill pikeminnow at least make sure it's a pikeminnow. (Killing them doesn't do anything anyways, especially on rivers outside the Columbia affected by dams.)

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:
I agree with this guy.

If you're going to kill pikeminnow at least make sure it's a pikeminnow. (Killing them doesn't do anything anyways, especially on rivers outside the Columbia affected by dams.)

You are much more familiar with this than I, but don't salmon and steelhead smolts eat pikeminnow fry? If so, then killing them actually does do something.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I think the key wording in the CMP is "active predator management" to maintain balance....Cormorants would fall under this in areas where their population is too high..this makes sense to me and I think ODFW will do a good job within the constraints placed on them...

C
chad wiest
One of the biggest issues is sand island on the columbia river mouth. The island is the result of man made dredging. The birds have nested there and have no predators to keep them in check ( raccoons). There population has exploded and so has there smolt predation. They need to be thinned. Then there is the argument of " they have always gotten along before". Back before humans changed the landscape the environment was prime habitat for the native species. Things have changed. Prime habitat for salmon has decreased while hatcheries try to make up for it. Nesting area for the birds has increased. Those birds are eating a species that provide a lot to the local community and economy. Just because they look pretty to you means they shouldn't be managed? Thats like not taking care of a problem cougar who is eating livestock because they are cool animals. Are they reccommending wiping them all out? No, just thin them out.