Latourette (aka garbage hole)

W
WATERKL39
I finally made my first steelhead trip after a twenty year absence to Latourette park and after 2hrs of float fishing-BOBBER DOWN!!! I landed a nice 14 pound native.
All in all I was a happy guy even after letting my first steelhead go:joyous: I am new to the Sandy river and am wondering why it's called (the garbage hole)?

Reactions: eugene1
S
sapo
Sweet! Glad you could get out there! I'm heading out to the Sandy in June for some springer fishing...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Folks used to dump garbage there. When you were there I'm sure you could see that it is a completly undeveloped park. Nothing there but a parking lot. Most folks only know the place as the Garbage hole. It was named for Oregon Supreme Court Judge Earl C. Latourette. Prior to serving on the OSC he was a Clackamas County Judge. He died in 1956 while still on the court. The place during the summer is a good place to swim. Folks swim across to the sandy beach on the other side of the river. The side by the parking lot is deep and there used to be a nice rope swing there that was tied to a limb in a tree. High water a couple of years ago removed the tree from the bank, darn.

M
mikeee2362
Way to go WATERLK!! And Wow that's huge!! I was going to try that spot a while ago...now I'm definitely gonna seek it out lol.

B
BamaDan
I've fished that hole for probably a dozen hours with nothing to show. WATERKL shows up and bags a huge native in 2. I don't think I'm doing a very good job of hiding my envy haha. Good job out there!!! After 20 years that must have been extra sweet.

And I didn't have a clue why it was called the Garbage Hole, but last time I was there I pulled up near the only car in the parking lot. I didn't pay it much attention until I noticed the windows were all steamed up. Then when two fellas climbed out for a stretch, I knew I better just keep my head down and mind my own business haha.