Line mending problem

H
HRxPaperStacks
I just got back out on the river and I tried a bobber rig with some roe. I have a Berkely IM8 Buzz Ramsey Rod (8'6") and a baitcaster. IDK what I'm doing wrong, but I can never move that line right! It never goes upstream of the float and if it does I'm moving the bobber with my flip. Any suggestions?

Aervax
Aervax
What line are you using? It can make a big difference in how it handles, and whether it floats or sinks.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Line mending problem

Stren 10# mono

Aervax
Aervax
Nylon or fluorocarbon?

H
HRxPaperStacks
I believe it's nylon monofilament

M
mikeee2362
Mend more often so your line doesn't sink in too much. Your bobber is going to move alittle unless you are only out far enough to reach out past your bobber. Also with an 8'6' you are gonna have to reach really high to get your line out of the water. I use a floating line on my float rod so it helps with mending as I can see it easily and it lifts really easy. It helps to put some chapstick on the last 10-15 feet of your line, keeps it up on top longer.

Aervax
Aervax
I can speak about what works for me. Others please chime in too, I know what works for one angler may be approached totally differently by another. Gotta find what works best for your style on your waters. A lot of variables can contribute to line drag when your mending a line bobber fishing. Though nylon can be pretty good in the beginning it absorbs water and becomes heavier the longer it is in the river. Ever notice how nylon floats when you start out and sinks more as the day goes on. For me the sink causes drag that I can't overcome when mending the drift, and that pulls my bobber down or to the side when I mend. Line floatant will help some. You can get that at the fly fishing shop. Another solution would be to switch to a line that floats higher in the water than nylon mono. I use a floating line ending in a 10 lb fluorocarbon leader. My bobber still twitches some when I mend, but a lot less than when I used mono.

J
JeannaJigs
HRxPaperStacks said:
Stren 10# mono

Ditch the mono if you're float fishing. Use a braided line, I am a fan of power-pro, it floats. There's a dozen different brands out there, but I keep going back to the power pro. Just attach your mono leader with a barrel swivel and you're golden. It is a night and day difference if you're float fishing. Due to braid being a thinner diameter than mono, I would recommend 20 or 30#. It will float on the surface better and you will be happier with the mendability. Just my 2 cents.

H
HRxPaperStacks
What a coinkidink I was planning on changing to braid with my new reel. :) does it cast well with a baitcaster?

J
JeannaJigs
HRxPaperStacks said:
What a coinkidink I was planning on changing to braid with my new reel. :) does it cast well with a baitcaster?

if you're just chucking small jigs, without additional weight...the answer is no. I use in-line weights with my jigs to use heavier floats....and it casts just fine, but if you're planning on casting just a plain ol' jig or whatever, less than 1/2 ounce, a baitcaster is a poor application with any line. Experiment with it, and you'll find what weight you're able to cast. Every reel is different, and they all have different braking systems.

H
HRxPaperStacks
I always use in line split shots. :)

B
bagold53
I do not have any trouble using braid on my baitcasters. most of my troubles are end user issues that I have to work on.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
JeannaJigs said:
Ditch the mono if you're float fishing. Use a braided line, I am a fan of power-pro, it floats.

X2

C
ChezJfrey
mikeee2362 said:
It helps to put some chapstick on the last 10-15 feet of your line, keeps it up on top longer.

But what flavor works best? ;)

Seriously, line choice and rod length make a tremendous difference when mending. I use PowerPro, but I tried another setup, with Fire Line and I may switch to that when I next re-spool because it seemed even nicer for that application.

H
HRxPaperStacks
It would be for a wide application - not just float fishing. I float fish, side drift, plunk, and throw cranks/spinners/spoons with the same setup. :)

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
HRxPaperStacks said:
It would be for a wide application - not just float fishing. I float fish, side drift, plunk, and throw cranks/spinners/spoons with the same setup. :)

Hard to have a single setup and do everything well.

H
HRxPaperStacks
True that but a second setup doesn't come cheap.

T
troutmasta
JeannaJigs said:
Ditch the mono if you're float fishing. Use a braided line, I am a fan of power-pro, it floats. There's a dozen different brands out there, but I keep going back to the power pro. Just attach your mono leader with a barrel swivel and you're golden. It is a night and day difference if you're float fishing. Due to braid being a thinner diameter than mono, I would recommend 20 or 30#. It will float on the surface better and you will be happier with the mendability. Just my 2 cents.

JeannaJigs said:
if you're just chucking small jigs, without additional weight...the answer is no. I use in-line weights with my jigs to use heavier floats....and it casts just fine, but if you're planning on casting just a plain ol' jig or whatever, less than 1/2 ounce, a baitcaster is a poor application with any line. Experiment with it, and you'll find what weight you're able to cast. Every reel is different, and they all have different braking systems.

Bingo!!
+ a long rod makes mending line easier

M
mikeee2362
ChezJfrey said:
But what flavor works best? ;)

Dunno...only tried the plain, does it come in anise/krill? I'd definitly try it.

M
mikeee2362
HRxPaperStacks said:
True that but a second setup doesn't come cheap.

Check the Pawn shops from time to time. I've found a few worthy setups in the past there, cheap.