Salmon noob....

C
CrappieCrazy
Hello fellow fisherman!
I moved to the Portland area last year and will be moving to Salem in a couple months.
I came from the lands of warm water fishing where no salmon exist.
But I want to give it a try and was wondering if anyone had a link to a document, video, classes - whatever, that could show a noob some of the basics I need to know?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Crappie Crazy

M
mikeee2362
Hey CC,
Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of help right here.
I too am new to the Salmon fishery here in Oregon, have caught a bunch on the great lakes but its nothing like here.
Look in the archives of this forum and you might find some helpful info. I also just googled up "salmon fishing in oregon" and youtube has a ton of good instructional videos that you could benefit from. Good Luck

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Crappie,

You might want to mention where you are interested in fishing and if you are fishing from shore or a boat.

Lots of styles depending on these things. For example, salmon fishing in the ocean is lots different than banking it on the Clack.

Best,

C
CrappieCrazy
I am hoping to do both. Which is part of the education I am hoping to glean from the forums. Back at my old stomping grounds I knew where I needed a boat versus where I just needed a chair and a cooler based on what species and time of year it was. When it comes to this neck of the woods I am totally clueless. I'll start out bank fishing until the wife and I get completely settled in.

T
Toyracer38
Youtube is a great source. I'm currently becoming a float fishing expert by watching youtube videos :) Well not really, but I have found some helpful tips. Steelhead Stalkers website also has some tutorial vidioes, which you may find helpful.

A
autofisher
A lot of books by Amato publications will have a ton of information for you. Bill Herzogg has been a big help for me. I recommend going through the archives here on the forum. Try to look past the "peacockery" that sometimes happens and you will find an abundance of information for almost everywhere in Oregon.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
M
mikeee2362
autofisher said:
A lot of books by Amato publications will have a ton of information for you. Bill Herzogg has been a big help for me. I recommend going through the archives here on the forum. Try to look past the "peacockery" that sometimes happens and you will find an abundance of information for almost everywhere in Oregon.

"Peacockery" :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
It all depends on what type of water you're going to be fishing, the mainstem willamette versus upper tributaries = entirely different tactics. The majority of salmon fishing though, I'd leave the chair at home ;)

C
CrappieCrazy
Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

C
CrappieCrazy
@JeannaJigs - "chair" was kind of a joke. I used to give my dad a hard time because I would be walking and working every spot with potential fish and come back with my limit why he would still be setting in his chair waiting for the fish to come to him!
@autofisher - thanks for the Amato and Herzogg tips, but "peacockery" on the forums? Surely not :D

A
autofisher
Funny that Jigs mentions the "chair":bleh:

Not a problem Crappie. There are some members on this forum that have a ton of knowledge. There are also some that have a ton of information. Figure out which one works best for you and run with it.

J
JeannaJigs
You love your pink chair, probably the greatest thing anyone has ever given you!! You're welcome!

F
Fishing Master
Wow I was looking for these answers everywhere on the internet, and finally I found the answer I need here.

Very happy to be a member of this forum! :)

Regards

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
:popcorn: