Valley River Center area anglers...

J
Joe
Just moved to this house like 2 houses away from the river near the islands about a mile north of VRC on River Road side. Hoping someone can show me what this spot is like, my trout fishing neighbor claims its a really good spot, but I am not sure that he knows about salmon or steelhead. I have taken a couple of walks down there, and it looks like if you wade out to the other side of the island the action would be decent. Looks too turbulent for eggs, but idk. There are tricks to all spots and I am looking for some inside info.. thanks!

S
Steel4life
i like to fish from morey jacobsen park which is right across from vrc. and fish above the walk bridge.i have gotta few steelies there on spoon and jigs. i also do good down past vcr towards marist hs. well actually infront of marist. there is a good salmon hole above a awesome steelhead riffle. i would get a bike and fish from the bike path man. honestly there are tons of good spots if your will to ride your bike a few miles.

J
JeannaJigs
Are you talking about the island across from the boulders apartment complex? That's a money salmon hole if you can get to it before the guy with the mullet gets to it. Backbounce eggs on the eastside of that island, the inside seam. There's an eddy, so help it along a bit.

Or maybe you're talking about the island above greenway bridge (this is the bridge AT VRC)...those islands suck they're super shallow, but there's a nice channel going under that bridge about 20 feet from the west bank....I had some springers nail eggs under a float there, but I was in my boat. People look at you like you're a freak show when you're fishing there. "Whatcha fishing for? What, salmon? there's salmon here no way?" five minutes later the same weirdo will ask you "whatcha fishin' for?" all over again. gotta love the local "wildlife"

Orrrr maybe you're talking about the island next to the poop factory? There's a good slot on the other side of that, it's very deep, between the east side of the island and the east bank....It's within sight of beltline. Everything goes up there when the water's lower. There's usually boats anchored up above there, but it can be fished from the east bank, backbouncing or drifting eggs is good.

E
eugene1
LOL we called that guy "the redneck".

JeannaJigs said:
if you can get to it before the guy with the mullet gets to it.

J
JeannaJigs
I swear, he is always there.

E
eugene1
Well, it might be a different guy then. The Redneck was usually floating down to d street targeting summer runs and taking out there. Nice dude who was outta work last I heard and in a well-used once red aluminum drifter. Some times he was teaching his granddaughter to fish; he fished multi tactics (fly, bait, spinners). His wife picked him up usually. Not sure the Redneck went below I5 but ?? Always good times on the river meeting different people!

Best,

JeannaJigs said:
I swear, he is always there.

J
JeannaJigs
Haha no this is a 40's something guy with hip waders and a mullet that is a sentry at the boulders hole.