RWS & alseaalumaweld's version:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Reedsport

Lets make a short story; long.:rolleyes:

A guy who I do most of my fishing with, Rick, well he's gone for 9 days to some ******** Burning Man thing in the desert or something. His loss.

Anyway, his sled is for the most part my ticket for chasing early fall fish in the tidal waters, and I made sure he gave me his keys before he left. :clap:

I now was in the need for a co-pilot, so I enlisted the help of alseaalumaweld (Jake)

Jakes from Newport, so I left the residence at 3:30 this morning, 45+ minutes later Jakes loaded up in Waldport, and down 101 we go; Reedsport at 5:30 even. Honestly, shorter drive than I remember.

Hop into the launch circus, boats floating, we're rigging, lights turning, and we're fishing. Simple.

Out going to start, tide swap was to be around 8:30 in the morning, and we troll just below 101 to the big bend and beyond. Fire the pump up, jet back up to just above the bend, set her back down, troll. Mid conversation with Jake, his rod buries; FISH!

I stand up and knock the kicker out of gear, reach to retrieve my gear while keeping an eye on his dancing rod, he lifts from the rod holder, and a horrible POP, Jake looks baffled, I am baffled. The braid mainline broke, above the flasher! wtf-right?

Any of the up river boys who tag a fish, with a flasher in chase, contact alseaalumaweld for shipping instructions :)

Flop the spare rod out, and troll; finish the run, and pump back up to above the bend. By this time, the bite has clearly turned on, fish rolling, nets scooping, fish dying. Its a fun thing to watch.

Anticipation is high; boat directly in font of us: fish on! Reel up our gear, turn 90 degrees, courteous fisherman.

Drop gear just around him, troll. Glance at my rod: It buries! Fish on! This one sticks, and my braid doesn't break :lol: Fun little fight.
And this one you dont have to envision, it ends up nose down in the bleed bucket.

IMG_1207.jpg

Fun day on the water. Lots of fish to be had at that first swap. After about a half hour of incoming it was game over, and we didn't see a single net move from then on.

The fish were done, the salad was in, so we called it at 2pm.

IMG_1209.jpg

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:clap: :clap: Thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:
:D :D

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I
idahojeff
Nice fish and nice report.

A
alseaalumaweld
nothing like the sound of power pro breaking in the morning!

C_Run
C_Run
Real nice jobs guys.

A
Airs98
Very cool!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man! Sounds like you guys brought your a game. How many ish did you see caught? Im headed down there sunday. Might get sick and not go to work thursday.

R
RunWithSasquatch
There was a lot of fish caught, I can't put a good number on it, but for a while, everywhere you looked was 1 or two boats drifting with the net out. And it was all right around the tide swap, no other action otherwise.

A
alseaalumaweld
id say 70 boats is a safe bet. few boats had 2 few had 1 maybe 20-30 caugth?

S
Santiam338
Nicely done...:clap:

However,

I clearly remember telling you to catch a 50 pounder...That one looks a little short..;)

I have to go check my powerpro..:shock:

Reactions: bigsteel
A
alseaalumaweld
it wasn't 50 it was ****ing 53!

R
RunWithSasquatch
haha, yes, it is short of 50. I just didn't feel right setting it free, especially after Jake hit it with the Louisville slugger. Oh well, whats a guy to do.

Well, we're not exactly sure what happened with the power pro... it was frayed up at the break... wondering if it got hung on the rod locker door in the sled. its hard to say.

No excuses.

A
alseaalumaweld
it was new 30 pound yellow power pro. frist time its ever failed me. got a new spool of 50 on it now. should be good to go!

S
Santiam338
Maybe it was the 50 pounder that broke the 30 pound powerpro..

Maybe..:)

A
alseaalumaweld
to sides to ever story. it was pulling the boat under similar to jaws. had to cut it go.

L
lilsalmon
good story....but I thought for sure the boat in front of you, fish on, was going to bring in a fishy with a flasher....

M
Mad dog
Be sure to post up the Burning man results as well!!! :lol: I want to know how it turns out for your buddy! Nothing like a week of hanging around drugged up naked hippies! :D

Oh, Nice fish!!! ;) :clap:

R
RunWithSasquatch
Mad dog said:
naked hippies!

He mumbled something about this. I just shake my head at him.

R
RunWithSasquatch
lilsalmon said:
good story....but I thought for sure the boat in front of you, fish on, was going to bring in a fishy with a flasher....

I imagine there is no better way for a salmon to get its ass eaten, than to tie a flasher to its mouth, and swim around with seals.:think: haha, I did envision it turning up some where; Jake didn't want to talk about it much in the boat, seemed like a soar subject :lol: