Tuna on the fly?

V
Van
So, anyone fishing off the OR coast for tuna with their fly rods?

My old man is a long time fixture fishing out of Garibaldi for just about everything. The last few years or so his obsession is tuna, more so than halibut. I have been think about tagging along one of these days to try and hook some tuna on a fly. Of course i would need a 10-12wt rod but that is easily solved.

I'm curious as to what the technique and fly patterns used here in Oregon.

E
eggs
Man Tuna on the fly would be awsome!

V
Van
No one? Certainly someone out there is doing this in Oregon.

T
Thuggin4Life
Year im sure a select few have but its not common. go look at he jigs the troll for tuna and try something that looks similar i guess would be my non flyfishing opinion. Maybe some kind of streamer?

M
metalfisher76
Van said:
No one? Certainly someone out there is doing this in Oregon.

I`ve been thinkin... I`m sure a member posted on this last year, maybe the one before?? But there is a guide doin it. May only be during el nino tHough, not sure. I want to go! BAD!!

M
mlw
The folks at Caddis Fly Shop were going after them last year, not sure about this year.
Michael

S
skunk
Van said:
So, anyone fishing off the OR coast for tuna with their fly rods?

My old man is a long time fixture fishing out of Garibaldi for just about everything. The last few years or so his obsession is tuna, more so than halibut. I have been think about tagging along one of these days to try and hook some tuna on a fly. Of course i would need a 10-12wt rod but that is easily solved.

I'm curious as to what the technique and fly patterns used here in Oregon.

Chuck Stihl (can't remember his guide service name) is one of the few licensed guides that targets tuna on the fly. If your interested. He's out of Hammond Oregon. I can get his info if you'd like.

S
skunk
metalfisher76 said:
I`ve been thinkin... I`m sure a member posted on this last year, maybe the one before?? But there is a guide doin it. May only be during el nino tHough, not sure. I want to go! BAD!!

If your serious maybe we could set up a group trip, Chuck's boat is very ocean worth, and he's got the experience out there. I'd like to try it also, just never have enough buddies (none haha) to schedule a trip.

M
metalfisher76
Let`s AT THE VERY LEAST start considering it. It`s prolly a short window to start...closing fast, I`m sure. I know a couple other members that should be licking their chops.

Hmm chops and eggs fer breakfast:)

D
Drew9870
I would start out tying patterns that resemble commonly used Tuna lures/jigs, Tuna are not my strong point, never been out for them. I would tie some heavy Squid or Minnow patterns, these are a good start for most Ocean species.

V
Van
Nice to see this thread got some legs under it after all. Thanks for the input folks.

Reactions: metalfisher76