Plunking, spreader or 3 way?

S
Steeliekiller
New to plunking and what works better, spreader or 3way.

M
mikeee2362
I'm new too, but I'll just say I wished I had some spreaders instead of my triple swivels and tubing...I didn't have any trouble and only hauled in one tangle that I was fishing about an hour with. But every cast was an adventure hoping I wasn't twisted up as it hit the water. I will be getting some spreaders for my next trip, along with some cheap railroad spikes for weights, as I left a couple of pounds of expensive lead pyramids on the bottom, at Meldrum bar. Good luck out there! :thumb:

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Being lazy at times, and willing to try something, anything that will aid my chance of landing a fish, I have plunked several times. While I far prefer sitting in a chair and holding the rod in my hands, the hateful stares of senior citizens upset by my trespassing on "their" 200 yard-long hole was bad enough without my looking "different", so I broke down and built a rod-holder and purchased a cowbell. I refuse to sit in my parked car waiting to hear the ring like the seniors do as I think that is really pushing the "lazy" envelope, so I still sit in my chair next to the rod.

I found that the spreader seems to be the most popular setup among the Social Security set, but once Spring algae starts to increase the tangling odds, the three-way is the way to go.

EJ

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks guys, i was at meldrum last night and it was packed only lost 6oz, had one take down, And I used a spreader seemed to work well long as I got a high lofting cast. I may be smelting lead this weekend as I've got 3 5 gallon buckets of tire lead for free. And 6oz pyramid cost 2 bucks. Good luck out there.

M
mikeee2362
OOO free lead...can't beat that!! But I'm liking the spike eco-friendly cheap weight system right now since i just got a line on some lol. Haven't been here long enough to experience the "algae tangle" problem so I guess it might be good to have both when summer comes. You must be doing it right if you got a bite!:thumb:

B
Big3d
Spreaders are always good, it's hard enough not tangle without having lines dancing together

J
jesse202505
I need to try plunking, still looking for my first springer!

T
Toyracer38
I only use 2 glo's, that way I have the option to slide a quickfish, spinner or what ever else I can think of down my line with a duolock. Quickfish would have the belly hook removed! Only 3 hooks allowed.

Last edited:
T
Toyracer38
Also, if you put a small bead just above your spin n glo and put the tip of a toothpick in it to hold it in place. It will keep your glo's from sliding up your leader during casts.

S
Steeliekiller
Headed down there today, thanks for all the great info