Help spooning

G
Gonzo
Just started fishing spoons and want some pointers. Any advice on technique or set up would be much appreciated.
Here's my set up and what I've been doing: Spin reel, 30lb braid, barrel swivel, 10lb flouro, lock snap, 1/2 spoon (usually Steelees).
I usually cast at about 12 o'clock, let it sink, reel in just enough to keep a belly in the line and then just let it drift without anymore reeling until it completes the swing. Question: After it swings to about 1 o-clock it starts wobbling and I lose contact with the bottom. Is that ok or is their a way to keep it bouncing all the way through the swing?

P
perfectg03
You are doing it right. To slow down the swing lower your rod tip and keep it pointed at your lure to a little upriver. In turn you can speed it up by pointing the rod downriver and in towards the bank.

Sounds like you have it figure out. Now you just need to find some fish.

Also in deep pools don't be afraid to jig the spoon through, I have caught many doing this.

T
troutmasta
Sounds good. I dont use swivels when I fish them but I have mono on my spinning reels. Dont be suprised to hook fish RIGHT when it hits the water. This will take a tad to get used to because there may be a dash of slack in the line still from the cast.
I swear sunset on the Clack I catch the majority of the fish on impact, cray!

By the way I friggin Love spoons!!!!

G
Gonzo
Good to hear. I'll keep at. Any thoughts on color or spoon shape/brand?

B
bigboy70
Theres a book called Spoon fishing for steelhead written by bill herzorg. when I started with spoons this was the first thing I got Helped a lot covers size shapes when and where. Also found a podcast of him talking about it recently a lot of good information

P
Poulsen Cascade
Here is an absolutely, break all the rules, non-traditional method that has worked for me in the past when all else fails. From the head of a hole, cast directly downstream to the break-edge of the tail-out, hold the spoon in that position letting it wobble like crazy. While it's there in the tail-out work it back and forth across the slick a few times. Bring it in a few cranks of the reel and repeat.

H
HereFishy
troutmasta said:
Sounds good. I dont use swivels when I fish them but I have mono on my spinning reels. Dont be suprised to hook fish RIGHT when it hits the water. This will take a tad to get used to because there may be a dash of slack in the line still from the cast.
I swear sunset on the Clack I catch the majority of the fish on impact, cray!

By the way I friggin Love spoons!!!!

^+1. I don't use swivels on the spoon end of the leader either. I've heard that they effect the way the water flows over the spoon. As far as color goes, my brass colored Lil Cleo spoon is always my go-to when nothing else is working.