Report from Meldrum Bar

M
mikeee2362
I just got home from a pretty slow day at Meldrum Bar. I got there at about 5 am and set up just up river from the top of the launch ramps, My partner Alex (Steel4life) got there about 8. I was going to leave around 10 to go do an hours work, but at 9:30 I hooked up for about 30 seconds before the fish threw the hook (just loving the barbless hooks). That fight kept me there till 2, so much for work today lol. Anyway...we did see a few fish landed in our immediate area, one from a fellow bankie about 100 ft down river from us and 2 straight out in front of us in boats. The fish counter guy said they were doing pretty good with several fish landed yesterday from the boats just up river from the Bar. I had a good time will definitely try it again sometime soon. With plenty of 6 and 8 oz pyramids....kinda hard to keep them more than a couple casts.

O
OnTheDrop
Go get some railroad ties.. 8oz pyramids are spendy!

M
mikeee2362
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Go get some railroad ties.. 8oz pyramids are spendy!

I don't know what those look like, Where can I get them at? Oh and thanx, I think I put about $20 bucks worth into the river today any cheaper solution would be awesome!

D
DrTheopolis
He meant railroad spikes. Much, much cheaper, I think they weigh about 10-12oz (??), and a lot more environmentally friendly than covering the bottom of the river with lead, which I always try to avoid (not passing judgement on anyone slinging lead, I just choose to do what I can).

S
Steel4life
how do you go about tying them on? cuz we could get a bucket or two and be set for the season. maybe even plasma cut a little chunk off to get down to the 8-10oz range

M
mikeee2362
DrTheopolis said:
He meant railroad spikes. Much, much cheaper, I think they weigh about 10-12oz (??), and a lot more environmentally friendly than covering the bottom of the river with lead, which I always try to avoid (not passing judgement on anyone slinging lead, I just choose to do what I can).

AAhhh ok thanks, where can I find them? And yeah I would much rather use an environmentally safer weight if I'm gonna end up losing some to the river, and cheaper just makes it all that much better.

S
Steel4life
but all in all it was an awesome day out mike. im sure next time you will land it. i would also like to check out dahl park. ive heard the springers like to hold there a lil better when the willy is high and muddy, looking for cleaner water. idk if its true but its always a thought

M
mikeee2362
Steel4life said:
how do you go about tying them on? cuz we could get a bucket or two and be set for the season. maybe even plasma cut a little chunk off to get down to the 8-10oz range

Was thinking the same thing about adjusting the weight, but we could just drill them or weld a little washer or wire loop to them. Getting them is my problem...where does one find buckets of spikes?

M
mikeee2362
Steel4life said:
i would also like to check out dahl park. ive heard the springers like to hold there a lil better when the willy is high and muddy, looking for cleaner water. idk if its true but its always a thought

So when we going?? :lol:

S
Steel4life
by any old railroad tracks. i often use them with zip ties on the bottom of my crab trap for added weight if the current is ripping. but i think that welding a wire loop sounds good. it might be hard to tie a knot to a washer. but then again i guess it depends on the washer.

S
Steel4life
haha whenever is good with me. as long as my work doesn't get in the way. lol i wana try plunking a few more times before i start to lose hope completely on my behalf. maybe a few beers a DD is in oreder next time. maybe make things a little more interesting...

M
mikeee2362
Yeah sure right after your birthday youngster!

M
mikeee2362
Steel4life said:
by any old railroad tracks. i often use them with zip ties on the bottom of my crab trap for added weight if the current is ripping. but i think that welding a wire loop sounds good. it might be hard to tie a knot to a washer. but then again i guess it depends on the washer.

You just make a loop out of mono and attach it like we did today.

M
muskieguide
mikeee2362 said:

It's not too hard. You use a typical sturgeon rig, (slider or 3-way swivel) and use anywhere from 6-10lb line depending on how hard and far you are casting and then just wrap and tie the spike to that leader. You can wrap as many times and tie whatever know you want as long as there is just the one single strand of line from the swivel to the spike. Tie off right at the bottom of the head and you'll be fine. I grew up using them on the Chehalis river for sturgeon. The spike should break off most of the time just on the hookset. Hope that helps

M
mikeee2362
muskieguide said:
It's not too hard. You use a typical sturgeon rig, (slider or 3-way swivel) and use anywhere from 6-10lb line depending on how hard and far you are casting and then just wrap and tie the spike to that leader. You can wrap as many times and tie whatever know you want as long as there is just the one single strand of line from the swivel to the spike. Tie off right at the bottom of the head and you'll be fine. I grew up using them on the Chehalis river for sturgeon. The spike should break off most of the time just on the hookset. Hope that helps

Thanks I'm sure that would work fine. So where do you guide for Muskie? I spent last summer chasing them in Minnesota.

M
mosd
ive used old rain road spikes for sturgeon fishing.. best way is to drill a small hole at top of spike or down at the bottom of it, and use either old fishing line, Dacron or big cheap snap swivels.. I tend to take chop saw and cut em in half in the middle to get the weight down

D
dozer365
mikeee2362 said:

Take a milk jug and a drop leader tied to the handle. Next time u hang up. Snap the milk jug or enviro friendly alternative is paper milk carton. Anyway. Snap swivel it on main line. Lift and hold rod high. Let float tell it starts to wake and or sink. Lift and jerk. If u lose ur drop line and weight. The float just comes in with gear. Hope this helps save droppers and lead.

M
mikeee2362
We saw a guy do that while out at the bar....great idea, will definitely have a milk jug with us next trip

S
sapo
Thanks for the report and the discussion here, very helpful.

B
bigboy70
i know of this crazy guy who has buckets full of spikes and hes trying to get rid of them for years now