She's only 17

I
igquick
17 lbs that is...

Reactions: eugene1
S
sapo
Nice! Where did you catch this and what bait were you using?

bass
bass
Great job! That is a nice chunky looking carp.

F
Finz
Do you eat those things??

D
DeAnna
omg where are you catching them? I moved up here from texas where i caught them all the time. I miss catching them and are they edible from where they have been caught?

D
DrTheopolis
Welcome, DeAnna. What area are you in? There's all kinds of places to fish for carp.

D
DeAnna
DrTheopolis said:
Welcome, DeAnna. What area are you in? There's all kinds of places to fish for carp.

portland and have been looking for carp and catfishing:thumb: so any help for the locations would be wonderful

D
DrTheopolis
Portland is a pretty big area. And you've moved to one of the great fishing destinations the country has to OFFer. While I don't dis any type of fishing, you could set your sights higher than cats and carp. The problem with eating carp and cats in the Portland area is polluted water. The Columbia Slough is full of carp, as is the Columbia itself (much cleaner than the Slough). Almost any pond on Sauvies Island has carp. Commonwealth Lake near Beaverton used to, and rumor has it still does.

I'd suggest finding a stocked trout pond, better eating and cleaner fish. There's always salmon and steelhead, which is high-effort, low catch, but worth it.

D
DeAnna
yes we do go trout fishing a lot and still looking for the big trout not these little ones. But just to throw in a good fight once in awhile would be great ya know.

troutdude
troutdude
Had me goin' for a minute there Iggy. Thought you might be posting, from the confines of the crowbar hotel!!! LOL

I
igquick
@sapo Caught it at Fairview Lake near the dock using white bread with one of my hair rigs. So far this year, I've been catching fish where no one else hasn't and the only difference is I'm using my type of hair rigs.

@bass thanks, she had a 2 foot girth lol

@Finz I don't eat them but there are certain parts of the fish that are clean

@DeAnna Caught it at Fairview Lake near the dock but the fishing isn't great there yet. I was fishing for almost 2 hours until this 17 lber took off. Plus I had to manually find where the fish were feeding at which is a bit of a pain sometimes. There are certain parts of the fish that are edible, but it definitely depends too on the water you are fishing at. I wouldn't eat any fish out of Fairview for example. DrTheopolis gave you some great information on where to start.

The catfish at Texas are much larger than the ones here.

@troutdude maybe my joke title went a little too far lol

M
MikePierce170
DeAnna said:
omg where are you catching them? I moved up here from texas where i caught them all the time. I miss catching them and are they edible from where they have been caught?

I'll give rep points to you if you make a video of yourself catching and eating a carp lol.

troutdude
troutdude
igquick said:
@troutdude maybe my joke title went a little too far lol

Just glad that you're not in "trouble". LOL

D
DrTheopolis
DeAnna, and all those lurking -- if carp is your deal, listen to what igquick says. That's my best advise. I've caught hundreds of carp in my younger days, but never had the passion that Igster has. They were just in my backyard. We usually just balled up fresh white chemical-bread (like Wonder) over a #2, with as little weight as possible... and always brought pliers and released them in the water, since if we touched them like Iggy, it took days to get the smell OFF the hands. That nast doesn't wash OFF easily.

But fun fishing.

I
igquick
@MikePierce170 lmao no way no how

@troutdude it's always fun to walk the line

@DrTheopolis

and to others trying

Carp do have this disgusting stinky slime that is hard to get off. The 17 lber above didn't seem to smell too bad and was easy to get the stench off with water and soap; or maybe I just got used to the smell....

The guys that first taught me how to fish for Carp and Catfish used the same rig. They caught them up to 10 lbs. So I copied them but used a treble, and I caught them up to 18 lbs. Then lastly, I began using these custom hair rigs, which caught them more frequently and my catches became significantly bigger. I am and have been trying different techniques, rigs, and bait but nothing comes close. Well not yet at least.

In my hunt this year for bigger fish, I'm encountering people that aren't having any luck at all using typical rigs, like corn, bread, or even french fries on a few hooks helicopter style with a large weight; but then I end up catching not them. So I'm pretty sure the main reason is my rig is just better when they are feeding.

M
MikePierce170
Or you can use a bow and arrow like me. They always seem to be biting my arrows. Maybe it's the stainless steel tips or the flavor of the fiberglass they like, I'm not sure :D

E
eugene1
Congrats on the big girl, ig!

M
montym
@Igquick, you're becoming my hero. Here's an easy way of getting rid of the smell, just cut up a lemon and rinse your hands thoroughly after you've washed-up once with soap. I usually buy my fish cut-up, and after washing and marinating the fish this is what I do.

All these pics are making me hungry, I swear.

Cheers
M

I
igquick
@MikePierce170 So where you planning to go next?

@eugene1 Thanks, big girls need lovin too

@Igquick Fishing hero lol thanks. Have you ate an Oregon Carp yet?

J
JeannaJigs
People eat carp?! I just threw up in my mouth.