Sea lions and crabs

B
bassman503
The family and I arrived at the fishing pier behind rogue brewery saturday at about 11 am. We quickly set up our rings with shad and waited a solid ten minutes. After pulling in the traps our bait was gone. This happened 2-3 rounds of waiting. I was puzzled.. I did however see a few sea lions bobbing here and there with their heads out of the water. This time I dropped my crab ring into the water but only about a foot into the water, then all of a sudden a huge brown thingy swam under my ring and ripped off pieces of my fish and played tug of war. This happened 3-4 times until mom and dad drove all the way back to fred meyers in new port for chicken. Really frustrating.. Im thinking maybe when the low tide arrives it would be better to use shad since the scent is heading down stream where the seals aren't staying. Any who, we caught plenty of dungies but all were short or females. We did haul in 47 LARGE red rocks that were kept :D

N
n8r1
Were you using bait boxes? That can help keep the seals and sealions out.

T
the_intimidator03
Even when using bait boxes they can still latch on to your rings and take em for a ride. I generally use turkey legs in my rings for crabbies. I have used mink as well which can be gotten just down the road from the rogue brewery at newport marina.

S
silkiechicken
Nice catch, how many hours did that take?

N
n8r1
Duh. Forgot about rings. I use exclusively cages and don't usually have to deal with the seals. I also use poultry for bait unless I just caught a fish, the I use its head & guts.

B
bassman503
it was pretty annoying.. as much as i love using shad, i guess i will stick to poultry for now on. We crabbed for about 4 hours with 4 rings.

C
Chrome_Chaser
Try using carp. Filet the back side of the carp to disperse the scent. Crab loves it and the sea lions won't touch it.

O
Oregonite
Why do people still use rings? Traps are the only way to keep the sea-lions from stealing your bait and the crab can't dine and dash.

S
silkiechicken
Can't speak for others, but I am land bound and use rings because I can actually catch something in them when I pull them after 15-20 minutes. I have three rings and one box trap. I bring the trap because I have it, wish I never bought it.

O
Oregonite
Do you mean you can't throw the trap or cage a distance like a ring? :confused:

Last edited:
S
silkiechicken
Well, I can't really throw a ring either and so usually have my BF do that for me. LOL But the box I have is a cheap Danielson type so I don't think the crabs can get into it effectively.I can see how they would be great for people letting them soak for hours, but from the pier rings are way way way more fun when that is all you are doing. As for catch, in the dozen or so times I've been out to crab, probably got 3-4 reasonable sized red rocks in the box for all trips combined, while I get maybe that many per ring on each trip. I just have better ring luck.

O
Oregonite
If the crab are there, the cheap Danielson traps work just fine. I use 6 of them and they work just as good as the more expensive ones. 7 inch crab have no problem finding their way to the bait. I fish at Waldport and haven't caught any red rock crabs there. But if you catch more with the rings, good for you! We usually only soak 20 minutes or so. Where do you usually crab at? Happy Crabbing!

S
silkiechicken
I've only gone off the Newport public fishing dock in front of the brewery. Haven't tried Waldport before. I suspect that at least at newport where my traps end up, the ground might be too rocky for the boxes. Then again... I've only caught a few legal dungies. I wish I could go out more, but it is hard to convince the SO to take me.

D
DubberPhisher
I use chicken...thighs are the best and pretty cheap...Sea Lions will not touch it...I use rings and traps off jettys, docks and bridges. Right around high and low tide is the best...not a lot of flooding or filling so the crab can walk around a little easier. I use my Fish Rod sometimes too with a snare or "hawk" set up and do pretty well also. The only problem with chicken is keeping your hands clean...raw chicken is nasty stuff but the crab like it enough. Hope you all get some keepers soon. cheers.

O
Oregonite
I use chicken thighs too. Tear back the skin to expose the fat!