Trout line weight question

L
LuckyFisher
In a few weeks I'm going to be heading out to a lake where I know there are some 5-8 pound trout (along with regular size planters of course). I know normally people would use 4# or 6# test for catching trout. In this case would you recommend going up to 8#? Mono line. Or, would you just stick with the 6# and set the drag really loose?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Iv caught big fish on 4lb line. Just gotta be smart while fighting the fish. 8lb is good for trolling lures and such. But for bait fishing id use 4-6. Good luck!

L
LuckyFisher
I'll probably be trolling wedding rings with a few split shots.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I wouldn't worry about using 8lb line then. Id troll around some rapalas, might be more apt to get the bigger ones to bite.

So where are you headed? Diamond Lake? Hagg Lake?

L
LuckyFisher
I'm headed up to a lake in Washington where they plant some trophy size trout, along with the traditional planters.

G
grizzlynitemare
I agree with Shane. 6# for still fishing, 8# on a trolling set up.
Best of luck up there :)

hobster
hobster
Throbbit _Shane said:
Iv caught big fish on 4lb line. Just gotta be smart while fighting the fish. 8lb is good for trolling lures and such. But for bait fishing id use 4-6. Good luck!

Yeah, like that awesome land locked surprise! I'd stick with 6 lb also, just keep that drag loose. You don't have to worry about fighting a current like the rivers.

B
Blackdiamond1983
You could always use #6 spider wire. That stuff is super strong, tried to break it by hand when I got hung up and just cut my hand.

L
LuckyFisher
Looks like 6# test it is. I'll just set the drag a bit loose and see what happens. I'll report back later. The trout opener isn't until the end of April up in WA.

U
Username
I've got a 9 pound steel head with 4 pound test,egg hook and my last chunk of worm. If you know what your doing 4-6 should be plenty.

B
bigboy70
I use #6 for trolling #4 for anything else this year I am actually lightening it up to #2 leader for some appplications

J
JonT
Use 6-8 lb. fluorocarbon.

M
mikeee2362
If you only have the one rod I'd spool up with 8# flourocarbon and bring some 6# and 4# flourocarbon leader material.