First day at Cedar Creek

my2labs
my2labs
Hey all,

I fished Cedar Creek for the first time this past weekend for a few hours. I had no luck and saw no one hook up during my visit (though people were walking out with fish as I was walking in….) . I walked down the river to where I found a Private Property sign and a fisherman told me that the man who owned it was named Tom. I am interested in speaking with him to ask permission to fish his land and beyond…. I want to go about this this the right way. I am not interested in trespassing on anyones property.

Does anyone know Tom?
Any tips on how to get ahold of him?….

I grew up in Northern CA and fly fished Steelhead all of my young life…. I have switched to a casting rod recently until I can afford a spay rod. I've heard that PINK is the Sandy color……Any thoughts…..Thanks for any responses!

Good luck out there!

T
troutmasta
I fished cedar for years and can't recall any private bank. Below the high water mark is ALWAYS public land if the waterway is considered navigable. I've hiked from the hatchery to the cliff at the end and haven't seen private bank.
Good luck finding Tom.

And pink is absolutely a sandy killer. Salmon or steel.

my2labs
my2labs
Thanks for your response. The private land is just beyond the wall that is below Cedar Creek. You have to hike above the wall to get to it. Once past the wall, the river glides flat and looks great for throwing flies.

T
troutmasta
ah, I think I understand. The water after the cliif is great.

If you can cross the river you can follow the oppisite bank down for quite a while. There used to be a crossing point about 50 feet downstream from the creek confluence. I've also seen folks cross above.

Crossing the Sandy River is the key at Cedar. It opens up about 90% more river bank and a good mile or two of uncrowded water.

I havent fished it in a good year so I'm not sure about the crossing status right now but I used to just wait till someone was crossing and cross with them.

Finally, I have seen folks use little rubber rafts that they stash on the other side.

If you have been crossing and going way down to the other cliff, passed the house hole, and still want to go farther then you are a champ and you will never be satisfied. ;)

my2labs
my2labs
I've also heard of the raft idea. I may be trying it tomorrow. I am willing to put in the work. Thanks for the response. I look forward to contributing to the forums.