Techniques for Oxbow

H
HRxPaperStacks
Hi all!
I'm hitting Oxbow park on Saturday for salmon/steelhead/whatever will bite, and I was wondering what I should use? I have some crankbaits, a few spinners, a butt load of drift rigs and some jigs... What should I use!? I picked up some 2 oz pyramid weights this morning so I wouldn't mind trying plunking or picking up any gear y'all might suggest.

F
FishFinger
Dead drifting small florescence orange corkies w/ a wisp of purple yarn (24"- 30" leader) is a perennial for the Sandy. Orange/ nickel "steelie" spoons or blue fox type spinner (#4) are good options for terminal gear. I have read nightmare jigs under a float are producing results.

Don't over look sand or coon shrimp either on the drift or under a float.

Good luck, let us know how you did.

H
HRxPaperStacks
FishFinger said:
Dead drifting small florescence orange corkies w/ a wisp of purple yarn QUOTE] Can you please ellaborate on what dead drifting is?

F
FishFinger
Dead drifting: using the smallest amount of lead possible and allowing the current to carry your rig in a natural manor; as an untethered single egg would travel along to in the current.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Beautiful. Thank you!

H
HRxPaperStacks
Also, what kind of water is this? Should I bring waders or am I cool just hanging out on the shore?

S
Steeliekiller
Definitely bring waders an also roe, and pocket fish.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Thanks! So I take it there're several areas to fish there?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'd go with Fishfingers dead drift, if that isn't doing well for you switch over to a spoon like a steel-lee and swing it through the water. If the is room start at the head of a pool and work it down to the tailout. Yes there are several places to fish there it's a large park. Look at it on Google Earth. Folks do plunk up there near the boat ramp.

my2labs
my2labs
I have recently been told that Spoons are producing at Oxbow. I have pulled a Jack out before there using a spoon but never a Steely. Can't hurt to try though.

C
ChezJfrey
my2labs said:
I have recently been told that Spoons are producing at Oxbow. I have pulled a Jack out before there using a spoon but never a Steely. Can't hurt to try though.

Spoons absolutely will NOT work. Never mind that I have caught 60% of my steelhead with a spoon, or that my last two were hooked on a spoon...that's just anomalous coincidence ;)

Reactions: mikeee2362
H
HRxPaperStacks
So here's my report: got there at about 0730. Went down from picnic area A. Went as far down as I could (climbed over some sandbags to get to a nice pool) e6eruvu8.jpg
I used everything. I mainly plunked roe and an orange corkie (I may have missed a couple bites because on a couple of times I checked my roe was gone) but I was getting hung up. I think the water was fast enough to bounce it into cover. I unfortunately lost some spinners and plugs doing this. I used up all my roe in drifting, bobber-ing, and plunking. No one else around me was having any luck but damn what a gorgeous day it was. I think next time I'll try the boat ramp. Thank you all for your help. I'm going to grab some spin-n-glos. Any suggestion on size/color?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I took my youngest from Oxbow to Dabney. Missed a couple hits with roe and corky, other than that nothing. I broke out the spoon with no luck, guess I need to get instruction from ChezJfrey :worthy: We heard about one being caught from the bank. However, my son did build an awesome sand castle!

Last edited:
H
HRxPaperStacks
Were you plunking or drifting? What color corkie?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Drifting with Orange corkie.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Orange seems popular. Glad I got like 15 haha.

M
mikeee2362
ChezJfrey said:
Spoons absolutely will NOT work. Never mind that I have caught 60% of my steelhead with a spoon, or that my last two were hooked on a spoon...that's just anomalous coincidence ;)
:lol: