Trout frenzy...

C
cpeaslee
After a few hours of salmon fishing on the Willy, I was just not feeling it. So, I put the boat back on the trailer and headed for Hagg. Got on the water around noon, trolled around the dam and all along ramp A shoreline. Got a couple fish and several strikes.

Well, I seemed to have found where the hatchery trout were schooled up around 3:00. I headed back into one of the arms and started casting a spinner and was catching one after another. Once I caught the first one, I caught 14 more in less than an hour. Then in the next three hours, I caught another 30. They were all 10-13"...but I was having fun with it.

Throwing a pink/silver colored BlueFox spinner. After 20+ fish, my hooks were so dull, I had to swap to a blue colored one. (Did not have a hook sharpener in the boat.) They liked the blue as much ad the pink. I lost another 20 fish during this 4 hour parade. Seriously, after 40+ fish, my arm is sore today.

Water temp was 55-56 degrees, wind kicked up and clouds rolled in around 5:30. Fish were active on the surface all day.

Wish I had this kind of day while salmon fishing. :banghead:

uploadfromtaptalk1397058691219.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397058704925.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397058744844.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
"Wish I had this kind of day while salmon fishing."
Wouldn't that be sweet?!!
:D Still sounds like a fun day in the end. Thanks for the encouraging report! :thumb:

bass
bass
Great job! I have only fished Hagg in the late fall a couple of times and only ever fished it by casting spinners near where I saw surface activity. Nice to hear that works at other times of the year and was not a fluke. Sounds like an awesome day.

Be careful what you wish for, maybe next time out on the Willie you will catch a bunch of 10-13" salmon :)

troutdude
troutdude
cpeaslee said:
Wish I had this kind of day while salmon fishing.

Umm...wouldn't your arms fall OFF, with approximately fish # 9 or 10, if this happened? :popcorn:

Nice report; thanks for filing it.

C
cpeaslee
bass said:
Be careful what you wish for, maybe next time out on the Willie you will catch a bunch of 10-13" salmon :)

D'oh!

C
cpeaslee
Oh, and all fish were released unharmed. :D

...except maybe a sore mouth.

S
sapo
Nice report! I'm heading out to Hagg in a few weeks, hope I can have the same luck as you!