Steelhead spin rod and reel selection advice needed.

O
Otto
So, I am interested in going after steelhead this winter in either the Sandy or Clackamas rivers. Currently I use a Okuma Ceilio 7' rod with a Shimano Seinna 2500 reel.

I am aware that this rod is perhaps a little smallish for fighting those bigger fish. So I had been looking at the Okuma SST (SST-S-862M). Now here is the quandry: What reel should I pair this with? would the Seinna 2500 or should I go with a larger reel like a Sienna 4000 or a Sedona 4000?

Thanks for any input. I will be mostly throwing spinners.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
SALTYFISH
I would use the new Okuma Trio. light reel, carbon fiber,components, and a really nice smoth drag. O and to boot it matches the rod...

O
Otto
SALTYFISH said:
I would use the new Okuma Trio. light reel, carbon fiber,components, and a really nice smoth drag. O and to boot it matches the rod...

Cool. I looked at that, but I guess what my real question is: What size reel? Trio 20? 40? 55?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome of OFF.

I'm not familiar with those reels. But, the best approach is to get a reel that can hold at least a couple hundred yards of your favorite line.

BTW, I like Okuma rods. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

S
SALTYFISH
Otto said:
Cool. I looked at that, but I guess what my real question is: What size reel? Trio 20? 40? 55?

I would use the 40.

M
Mad dog
Shimano Stradic 2500 would be my choice!

A
alseaalumaweld
Shimano Stradic 2500!!! hands down

O
Otto
OK you guys. I was trying to keep this within reason.

The Stradic is a nice reel, but really? $179.99!? On a $60 rod?

But if a stradic 2500 would be your choice, then why not a Sedona 2500? I guess the answer I am looking for is what SIZE reel should I use. If a "2500" would be your choice, then I guess any of the Shimano 2500 reels would be sufficient for holding enough line without fear of getting spooled out.

W
waco
Get the sedona 2500! I have one and never been spooled out!!

Last edited:
M
Mad dog
Otto said:
OK you guys. I was trying to keep this within reason.

The Stradic is a nice reel, but really? $179.99!? On a $60 rod?

But if a stradic 2500 would be your choice, then why not a Sedona 2500? I guess the answer I am looking for is what SIZE reel should I use. If a "2500" would be your choice, then I guess any of the Shimano 2500 reels would be sufficient for holding enough line without fear of getting spooled out.

I have both....the Sedona is ok but the Stradic is a much better reel! The Sedona has flaws and will cost you fish! Personally I wouldn't put a $179.99 reel on a $60 rod! ;) But....for all practical purpose's the Sedona is an adequate reel! I've never been spooled on a Shimano 2500 reel and we've caught 20-30 lb. salmon while steelhead fishing!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Don't overlook the local pawn shops. I have found some great deals in these little gems.

F
fishindude
Just my 2 cents worth . I have and use quite successfully Okuma Trio 40S's and absolutely love them . Well balanced , more than adequate spool capacity and an ultra smooth drag . On my steelhead setups I use 30lb. Power Braid on one and 12 Maxima Ultragreen on the other . I love the fast line retrieval and how well they cast . One rod is an Okuma 9'6" GuIde Select 6-12 lb. Medium Light , the other is a Lamiglas 10-20 lb. Certified -Pro . But as stated at the beginning "just my 2 cents worth" . :):cool:

S
Santiam338
I am in the Okuma Trio 40 camp...Best drag on a spin reel I have used...My friend used it to best this Siletz steelie and it used a LOT of drag...I also have a Shimano spinning reel..Nice reel but I like the Trio much better..

IMG_0212.jpg

J
JKham
I love my Okuma SST rod and Shimano Sedona 4000. The combo is awsome! The SST rod is probably the best bang for the buck. My rod is 8'6" medium action

O
Otto
Raincatcher said:
Don't overlook the local pawn shops. I have found some great deals in these little gems.

Thanks for the advise. But for me, I avoid pawn shops. Every time I enter one, I feel like I am shopping among people who have been victimised.

I would rather Craigslist shop before I would pawn shop.

O
Otto
Mad dog said:
The Sedona has flaws and will cost you fish!

What kind of flaws?

Mad dog said:
But....for all practical purpose's the Sedona is an adequate reel! I've never been spooled on a Shimano 2500 reel and we've caught 20-30 lb. salmon while steelhead fishing!

So.. How about that Shimano Sienna 2500 that I already own? Souns like I just need to make my own mistakes with the winter steel.

M
Mad dog
Otto said:
What kind of flaws?

So.. How about that Shimano Sienna 2500 that I already own? Souns like I just need to make my own mistakes with the winter steel.

Your sienna would probably be more than adequate for most all steelhead situations, give it a shot! I don't care for my sedona much, I have to be real careful that the line returns to the roller guide everytime I close the bail, it frequently leave the line mid bail and as soon as you hook a fish the bail will pop open!!! :mad:

O
Otto
Mad dog said:
I don't care for my sedona much, I have to be real careful that the line returns to the roller guide everytime I close the bail, it frequently leave the line mid bail and as soon as you hook a fish the bail will pop open!!! :mad:

Oh wow! I have never had this problem with my Sienna. But then again, I am usually fishing spinners so I start reeling in anyways when I close the bail.

W
waco
Well I have landed a lot of fish with it and never lose any because of the reel (winters, summers, cohos and springers!!!)

O
Otto
OK.. So thanks for all the advise I got on this thread, I bought a rod and reel off some desperate soul on Craigslist. I bought a IM8 with a Shimano Symetre reel for under $100.

I guess it takes patience, sometimes the deals just come your way.

Took that stuff up to the Sandy and got skunked (Except for the smolt that jumped my spinner and got snagged)