Center pin question

Casting Call
Casting Call
Where can I find any post or discussion on center pins on this fourm? Thanks all Tony :blushing:

T
TimberTodd
Send Chromatos a PM. He uses this method a lot.

O
oregondragonfly
l have seen that setup on boats on the river and using downriggers with them they look like a big fly reel on a spinning rod and with out sounding disrespectful or condescending what advantage do they have over say a bait casting reel with a good drag and rod ? or is this just an old tradition that people are keeping alive. never used one or talked with any one that uses this set up. just looked like a lot of extra work and inconvenience compared to what I use and catch fish with, but I am always open to trying new things if I understand the reason. dfly

E
eugene1
From what I understand they excel at float fishing from shore on long runs. Haven't used that setup myself, but to each their own.

I don't think that would be an ideal rod for downriggers.

Best,
oregondragonfly said:
l have seen that setup on boats on the river and using downriggers with them they look like a big fly reel on a spinning rod and with out sounding disrespectful or condescending what advantage do they have over say a bait casting reel with a good drag and rod ? or is this just an old tradition that people are keeping alive. never used one or talked with any one that uses this set up. just looked like a lot of extra work and inconvenience compared to what I use and catch fish with, but I am always open to trying new things if I understand the reason. dfly

Casting Call
Casting Call
oregondragonfly said:
dfly...float to a bank location,if needed a longer cast and if needed for a longer run with the best presentation to as close to a natural drift as you can get. Added bonus is a 1:1 retriveve,spooled 80% of the time. most sensitive responce(DIRECT braking/line management) The ony mechanical advantage is a clicker and some do have drags. None of mine will have mech. drags. It doesen't get any more sporting than that) Mono vs piscal. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
goto link!

goto link!

Thanks for the link referance Sean. I belive that C/P is another way for distance fly fishing other than srey casting. Presentation by air(spey) vs stelth floating(C/P) Best Tony

O
oregondragonfly
I can see it being used as a big fly rod set up for casting I just didn't see where on a boat with downriggers it would be that benefitual here's a stacking vid using the rods I think you are talking about in this case I don't see where this is better than using the bait caster and mono. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLrQtOi54w dfly

Chromatose
Chromatose
Mooching is what the term is for Downrigger usage, it also takes a mooching reel not a Centrepin reel. I can not comment about posts in this forum as they seem to be at a minimum. There is a plethora of web sites dedicated to Centrepin Float fishing and the techniques used. Since I do not know what your query is I will end with what you have asked in your original posting. PM if you would like more information. Have a Blast with your new endeavor.

Last edited: