Sandy river summer steelhead

W
WATERKL39
I am seeking the sandy river for summer steelhead. What months would be best and when would the summer run end on the sandy? Thanx!

S
Steel4life
by the end of this month through june is when i do the best but i also have caught fish till the end of july

W
WATERKL39
Thank you so much! I haven't fished for steelhead for 20 years, mainly North Fork Lewis River. Now that I live in E. Portland I am ready once again to enjoy my days on the river.

M
mikeee2362
Welcome to the forum! I hadn't fished for steelhead in almost that long, but now that I'm a Portland resident, I'm fishing them every chance I get, and the Sandy is what I call my home river since it's so close. I've been fishing winter steelhead since I got my Oregon fishing license in January and have been doing well. Steel4life noted that at the end of the month the summer run starts but the winter run is still producing fish, I hooked 3 and landed 2 today, all natives. Why wait till summer get out there and give her a try!! Ever want a partner to go on the Sandy PM me I'm always game to go.

W
WATERKL39
That sounds like a plan. Where on the sandy do you fish?

W
WATERKL39
That sounds like a plan. Now are you allowed to keep steelhead with adipose-fin, or does it need to be one that is clipped with a combined angling tag?

S
Steel4life
yes it has to be a fin clipped steelhead. and you must have the combined angling tag and also the Columbia river endorsement to fish for steelhead on the sandy river.
mike how far up were you? ive been fishing dabney with little success. but I haven't been able to get out much latey due to work. lemme know the next time you jam out, im always looking for fishing buddies. congrats on your fish btw

M
mikeee2362
I've fished Troutdale, Dabney, Oxbow, and Dodge Park, but all my success came up at Cedar Creek, so I spend a lot of time there. It can get crowded there in a sort of civilized way(not like the Dog Creek hole on the Clack) So I try to be the first one there and go beyond where most like to fish. It's quite a walk, but worth it. I also bring equipment to fish everything, ie : Float, Drift, and spinning gear to throw some spoons or spinners. You don't always get to choose what kind of fishing you get to do as some spots get taken and not all the spots are good for all types of fishing. Yesterday was surprisingly not crowded which may have attributed some to more action, since I wasn't sharing with 20 other fisher folks. I like to go during the week when not as many people go, but I'm also a familiar face there on the weekends. Will try to contact you guys next trip.

D
DrTheopolis
mikeee2362 said:
Yesterday was surprisingly not crowded

Always thins a bit this time of year on the tribs, due to more people hitting the Willy/Big C.

Although the meat holes will always get some crowds.

M
mikeee2362
DrTheopolis said:
Always thins a bit this time of year on the tribs, due to more people hitting the Willy/Big C.

Although the meat holes will always get some crowds.
Well that's cool to know. But now I want to go learn how to do the whole chinook from the bank cha-cha, so I guess I'll run into the guys there. :lol: Unless someone has an open seat...Waving my hand over my head right now...PICK ME PICK ME!!

W
WATERKL39
Balance is key when float fishing. If I use a 1oz beau-mac float, 1/8oz jig, what size sinker weight would work to keep everything balanced with this setup?

D
DrTheopolis
I prefer a smaller float in the lower, clearer water. A 1/4 weight with a 1/8 jig = 3/8 under a 3/8ths bobber.

M
mikeee2362
Well if you are fishing 1/8 oz jig you will need 7/8 if an oz of lead to make your float work right. you could downsize your float to a 1/2 ouncer and use a 3/8 oz swiveled weight in line, or a 3/4 ounce weight with your 1 oz float and upsize your jig to a 1/4 oz, or add a little split shot above your jig 20 or so inches up, or,or, or, or, the combinations are almost endless. The key is to have the weight including your jig to equal the rating on your float, you will know you are weighted correctly when your float sits straight up in the water with only the top color and maybe a slight bit of the second color showing above the waterline. If the top of your bobber is pointing down river you are probably dragging your jig and need to lower your bobber stop. If the top is pointing up river too much you might want a heavier jig. If it goes under... SET THE HOOK, and have fun!! Your 1/8 oz jigs are great in clearer water, but if it is not so clear you might want to try a bigger jig...experiment... the fish never seem to read the same stuff as me. But I have learned that the clearer the water the smaller the presentation seems to be a good rule of thumb. Good luck out there!!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I have the overall weight slightly more than the float rating, as an example 1/4 oz jig, 3/4 oz weight, 3/4 oz float. My thought is that there is less resistance on the presentation for the fish.

M
mikeee2362
Hooked Up said:
I have the overall weight slightly more than the float rating, as an example 1/4 oz jig, 3/4 oz weight, 3/4 oz float. My thought is that there is less resistance on the presentation for the fish.

x2 ^^ I've done that too with 1/8 oz jig and 1/2 oz weight, under 1/2 oz bobber.

S
Steeliekiller
As of now a lot of people are chasing springers and forgetting that there are still good winters to be had, kinda clears up the banks for that. Good luck out there.

W
WATERKL39
Thanx! I will be headed out to Dodge Park next week and give it a try for the first time after 20years! Got my madriver worms, floats, jigs and everything needed to once again to enjoy river fishing.:)