Perch fishing-where?

S
sapo
I want to get out and go fishing for some perch in the next few weeks. Does anybody know a great place to go perch fishing? Also, is there any other bait besides worms that works on them? Any tips, strategies, and places on how to catch them would be helpful.

B
Big3d
sapo said:
I want to get out and go fishing for some perch in the next few weeks. Does anybody know a great place to go perch fishing? Also, is there any other bait besides worms that works on them? Any tips, strategies, and places on how to catch them would be helpful.

Hagg lake has perch, however they are all stunted to a smaller than bluegill size.

S
sapo
I've fished Hagg lake, only caught 1 perch there though. Is there a certain spot on Hagg Lake? Anyone know any other lakes/rivers/streams?

B
Big3d
I have trouble keeping perch off of my rig near ramp c off to the left of the fishing platform, or just jig a worm off the platform halfway between the bank and the gazebo. Give it a month and they will be a super nuisance.

S
sapo
I would, but I'm investing my money into fly fishing right now, surf gear is next on my list however I don't go there often.

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha! I began buying fly gear, just a few months ago. Now, I'm getting rid of it.

M
montym
troutdude said:
Ha ha! I began buying fly gear, just a few months ago. Now, I'm getting rid of it.

TD, Sapo; did you guys ever go looking for perch surf? I have a day long Salmon trip booked in Astoria in a couple of weeks, thought since I'd be in that area for a couple of days I can try my luck with these while my daughter builds sand castles.

Sapo, in case you are still interested, in my last trip to HH I switched to a 1/16 jig and worms instead of regular hooks, and I got a significantly higher number a larger than average perch. I don't mind the smaller ones also though, smaller ones taste great fried whole and crispy, just gutted and scaled.

Cheers
M

Cheers
M

troutdude
troutdude
No; sorry. I haven't made it over there yet.

Sapo?

T
TJR_84
I have been fishing foster lake a lot and have been getting tons of perch. Small chunck of worm and slow retrieval seems to work great. Have had some good size perch.

M
montym
Thanks TJR, I was actually referring to perch surf though. I've been to Henry Hagg quite a few times in the recent past, and got a lot of yellow perch doing what you have suggested. I use a jig head instead of regular hooks, seems to help to keep the tinier ones out. Great time, and fish, to take kids out. A bite a second keeps the kids excited all the time. Yesterday my 4 year old daughter watched me for a while, then she went "Now let me catch some fish".

Try an ultra light rod with panfish, I did a post about that earlier today, they make even the perch feel big and makes the fishing a lot more fun. Hope I am not preaching the preacher, but I really can't wait to get out again with my new rod.

Cheers
M

S
SailCat
There are larger perch in Hagg Lake although it's easy to get into a bunch of small ones and think that's all there are. Try deeper water and keep in mind that yellow perch tend to school to size and age group

S
sapo
Thx SailCat and Montym!! I'll probably be heading out to Hagg next week or the week after, hopefully the perch will still be hungry! lol