Spring chinook Sandy River

S
sapo
I'm looking to go spring chinook fishing this Spring, and from what I've found online the Sandy river has a pretty good spring chinook run. What month does this really start to kick in? Is the Sandy a good choice? Last and most important thing: What bait/line setup should I use? (Please give multiple suggestions if you have some). Thanks!

S
Steeliekiller
Can't go wrong with Bobber an roe. 20# braid 15#leader 3/0 hook. Hit the parks an find deep holding water.

S
Steel4life
^^ always money, but i also do pretty good with #5 blue fox silver or black are my go to colors specifically from troutdale to the mouth early in the morning when they are on move. anything above troutdale im using a bobber and bait

Last edited:
S
sapo
What month?

S
Steeliekiller
Its starting now!!!

S
sapo
Sweet, I'll be fishing there in May then!

W
WATERKL39
I just purchased a 10' 6" lamiglass spinning rod rated at 6-12 pound. Not sure if this rod will have enough backbone for spring chinook! Anybody know if this rod would work float fishing chinook?

S
Steeliekiller
It will work just fine, just play them out.

W
WATERKL39
What months do the spring chinook run on the sandy?

B
bigcat
WATERKL39 said:
What months do the spring chinook run on the sandy?[/

A few trickle in here and there this time of year but really not wo Me personally I don't start fishing for springers on the sandy until may. June and July being primetime up higher in the system.