Nasty!!! What a dirty little river. Yuck!

S
Spydeyrch
So a friend of mine and I headed out to the Nehalem River last Thursday evening for some fishing for a few hours. WE drove out to Somethinn Somethin Spruce Run Campground. Or something like that. ...... :lol: :D

Anywho, we got down to the water and it was at a decent flow. There were some nice riffles, runs, HUGE deep pools, but it looked ....... disgusting!!! Nasty!!! YUCK!!! :shock:

The water was a green, brown, nasty human waste color. It reminded me of something you don't want to be reminded of!!

Then the algae was everywhere!!! It was thick. It was green. In the water, it looked like long flowing locks of a woman's hair. It was on the bottom of the river, it was on the rocks. It was everywhere!!

But we managed to catch some fish.

I got some nice fish. 8 of them. All trout. My smallest was 7 inches and my largest was 9 or 10 inches. It was all on dry flies.

My buddy got two. It was only his third time fly fishing ever.

I waded up stream to a small channel and caught the majoirty of my fish out of water that ranged from 3 inches deep to 6 - 8 inches. What a blast pulling them out of that shallow water.

Then as we were walking back to the car, I found a man and his daughter fishing a little, tiny stream that emptied into the main river. It was a puddle stream. It had a small little trickle that would dump into some pools, maybe 7 inches deep at the most, then trickle down again. The man was fishing it with a broken pine branch, about 3 feet of monofilament line, a water bobber, a size 26 hook, and a small chunk of worm (bait!!!!! :mad:)

I thought I would give it a try. There was a little foot bridge up stream about 100 feet with a deeper pool under it. I cast a few times into it and BAM!! I got a little 3 inch trout. It was so cool to see it zip out of nowhere and nail the fly!!

I let him go safe and sound and then proceeded to get another one!!

So I guess in the end I caught 10 fish, if you include those 3 inchers, heheheheh :lol:

The water in the stream was nice and clear. Beautiful water. But the river ...... :think: I probably won't fish it again.

-Spydey

P.S. Opps, I guess I should have proof read my thread title!! hahahahaha I meant to say NASTY!!! not NANSTY!!! hahahahaha :lol:

Admins, if I could request that it be corrected, I would appreciate it. :D Thank you!

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
new terninology in the making....

new terninology in the making....

Spydeyrch said:
So a friend of mine and I headed out to the Nehalem River last Thursday evening for some fishing for a few hours. WE drove out to Somethinn Somethin Spruce Run Campground. Or something like that. ...... :lol: :D

Anywho, we got down to the water and it was at a decent flow. There were some nice riffles, runs, HUGE deep pools, but it looked ....... disgusting!!! Nasty!!! YUCK!!! :shock:

The water was a green, brown, nasty human waste color. It reminded me of something you don't want to be reminded of!!

Then the algae was everywhere!!! It was thick. It was green. In the water, it looked like long flowing locks of a woman's hair. It was on the bottom of the river, it was on the rocks. It was everywhere!!

But we managed to catch some fish.

I got some nice fish. 8 of them. All trout. My smallest was 7 inches and my largest was 9 or 10 inches. It was all on dry flies.

My buddy got two. It was only his third time fly fishing ever.

I waded up stream to a small channel and caught the majoirty of my fish out of water that ranged from 3 inches deep to 6 - 8 inches. What a blast pulling them out of that shallow water.

Then as we were walking back to the car, I found a man and his daughter fishing a little, tiny stream that emptied into the main river. It was a puddle stream. It had a small little trickle that would dump into some pools, maybe 7 inches deep at the most, then trickle down again. The man was fishing it with a broken pine branch, about 3 feet of monofilament line, a water bobber, a size 26 hook, and a small chunk of worm (bait!!!!! :mad:)

I thought I would give it a try. There was a little foot bridge up stream about 100 feet with a deeper pool under it. I cast a few times into it and BAM!! I got a little 3 inch trout. It was so cool to see it zip out of nowhere and nail the fly!!

I let him go safe and sound and then proceeded to get another one!!

So I guess in the end I caught 10 fish, if you include those 3 inchers, heheheheh :lol:

The water in the stream was nice and clear. Beautiful water. But the river ...... :think: I probably won't fish it again.

-Spydey

P.S. Opps, I guess I should have proof read my thread title!! hahahahaha I meant to say NASTY!!! not NANSTY!!! hahahahaha :lol:

Admins, if I could request that it be corrected, I would appreciate it. :D Thank you!

Sounds like a great time despite the water conditions. And I like that word you typoed!lol! Nansty. Rolls off the tongue nicely.

L
lilsalmon
Sorry to hear it was nasty...I love reading your threads......"long flowing locks of a womans hair" Never heard of guck being described that way....hehe....at least you got into some fishys.

S
Spydeyrch
lilsalmon said:
Sorry to hear it was nasty...I love reading your threads......"long flowing locks of a womans hair" Never heard of guck being described that way....hehe....at least you got into some fishys.

Oh MAN!! If you read it like that then it sounds like to me womans hair is nasty!! :shock:

I didn't meant it like that. I was just trying to describe what it looked like in the water. The algae was soooo long nd thick and it flowed in the water. The thickness of it, the length, and the movement of it in the flowing water reminded me of a womans hair flowing in the breeze.

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comment of of the algae and the flowing hair. totally didn't come out the way I heard it in my head, hahahahahaha :lol:

:D

-Spydey

P.S. Yes, I got some fishies. It was nice. But my friend got attacked by a nasty old tree. The thing tried to take his life!!! :shock:, luckily his pole saved it! :D

Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
I wasn't offended....in no way...I thought it was a very unique way to describe it....good job!!!!

S
Spydeyrch
lilsalmon said:
I wasn't offended....in no way...I thought it was a very unique way to describe it....good job!!!!

Well thank you! I am glad that it wasn't offensive.

I also forgot to mention about the tree that almost took a chunck out of my friend.

To get where we were fishing at the end of the day, we had to hike up and over some large boulders. When we came back, he went to step down from te boulder and triped. He grabed a large, huge!!, branch of a tree, except that it was just a single branch. It wasn't attached to the tree. And the end closest to him, which would have been attached to the tree, was all jagged and sharp. It looked like something Bear Grylls would have made with some parachute chorde, animal intestines, sticks, and a snake he just bit into, to make a fishing spear. It was pretty sharp man.

Anyway, he fell forward, grabbed the branch, and it had no support for him. So he fell about 3 feet to the ground with one foot under him, a leg under him, on his side, a hand still on the rod (good job J!!!!), and this large heavery tree branch came crashing down straight into his side. As soon as it hit him, he had this look of anguish and horror. I helped him get up as he struggled to pull his legs out from under him. As he stood up, I saw where the branch had hit him. It tore a huge gash through both shirts he was wearing, and one of the was pretty thick. I was worried it had stabbed him.

But nope. It just gave him a huge tree rash. Kind of like a street rash when you are ridding your bike and fall on the pavement. It already was brusing. Lucky guy!! I was worried that I was going to have to pull out my First Aid kit and go all medical on his butt ....... EDIT: ummm, I mean his side!!!!!!! hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, I ran into another fly fisher but man, this guy was a crotchity old man. He was fishing a good 50 feet from me up stream and had already fished the spot I was at. I wanted to cross the stream to get over to an island and some other waters on teh other side. So I asked him if it was okay if I crossed where I was at. I really didn't have to ask as 1.) he had already fished it, 2.) he was fishing and moving upstream, & 3.) he was pulling fish out and then throwing them back. Like not just dropping them in, but tossing/throwing them back into the water. Nothing overhand, all underhand, but still. Where are the ethics?!!!! :angry: :mad:

So When I asked him, he got all angry old man on me. Pulled up his line, started mumbling under breathe. Never answered me. Then had the odastity to walk right over to where I had told him I was going, and started fishing it!!!

What a jerk!!! :shock:

We left him alone from then on out.

I think the wet wading in that cold water must have affected him some how. Hahahahahahaah :lol:

-Spydey

Last edited:
Gunga
Gunga
I fished that stretch not to long ago with my uncle. It was very gross and smelled a little. didn't catch a thing but had a couple small takes on a small dry fly. Glad you did better than i did! Have you gone up to lost lake thats a couple miles past spruce run and fished?

V
Van
You didn't take the drive up to lost lake?

S
Spydeyrch
Van said:
You didn't take the drive up to lost lake?

No, I didn't unfortunately.

We only had a few hours to go fishing before we had to return home.

Plus, I am not that great of a lake angler. I can do pretty well on a river but on a lake, I am not any good at all!!! :shock: :lol:

Why, is it a pretty good place?

-Spydey

V
Van
Well, it used to be. I havent been up there in a long stretch of years. Then again perhaps i am just thinking of it in the terms from when i was young. Filtered through the lens of a young kid. We used to go up there when the campground was practically a 4x4 only place. We would troll flies across the surface of the lake behind us and catch trout like crazy. I can recall seeing fly fisherman casting from the log piles on one end of the lake.

I have been planning on taking my pontoon up there are hitting the evening bite and see how well i do. If i can ever get the free time to do so that is...

Gunga
Gunga
Spydeyrch said:
No, I didn't unfortunately.

We only had a few hours to go fishing before we had to return home.

Plus, I am not that great of a lake angler. I can do pretty well on a river but on a lake, I am not any good at all!!! :shock: :lol:

Why, is it a pretty good place?

-Spydey

Yes its a very good lake weather your banking or in a small boat. i went up there a few weeks ago with my uncle in his canoe. I hooked into a large trout that broke my line a few feet from the boat. Plus the fly fishing there is good. It doesn't get pressured that much and there a lot of trout up there. Ive only been a couple times but saw LOTS of fish jump. They were active for most of the day.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
lord... what do you think of the columbia or the willy? The Nehalem is probably one of the finest watersheds for steelhead in oregon, 6 of the streams that dump into are literaly off the scale for native steel, the north fork is one of the most fished stretches of river on the north coast, the king fishing is incredible and the cutt fishing is astonishing, and its never crowded. It requires skill and talent to have a good day winter steelhead fishing on the Nehalem. It is not littered with lousy hatchery steel, its lonely and sits in a rain forest.. its a gem. Out of my 20 biggest steelhead 11 of them are from the nehalem.. its one of the best chances in the state to hook steel over 23lbs. Not arguing with your post, simply giving a different perspective for the worlds 80 million internet users... defending of of oregons treasures I guess, but if I was all of you guys I would fish the wilson instead, lots of hatchery garbage over there- Brad

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
halibuthitman said:
lord... what do you think of the columbia or the willy? The Nehalem is probably one of the finest watersheds for steelhead in oregon, 6 of the streams that dump into are literaly off the scale for native steel, the north fork is one of the most fished stretches of river on the north coast, the king fishing is incredible and the cutt fishing is astonishing, and its never crowded. It requires skill and talent to have a good day winter steelhead fishing on the Nehalem. It is not littered with lousy hatchery steel, its lonely and sits in a rain forest.. its a gem. Out of my 20 biggest steelhead 11 of them are from the nehalem.. its one of the best chances in the state to hook steel over 23lbs. Not arguing with your post, simply giving a different perspective for the worlds 80 million internet users... defending of of oregons treasures I guess, but if I was all of you guys I would fish the wilson instead, lots of hatchery garbage over there- Brad

I think the problem comes from the low summer flows - the stretch near Spruce Run has been low, slow water with a nasty algae bloom and lots of ooky foam build up. Very different from how that stretch looks earlier or later in the year.

S
Spydeyrch
GungasUncle said:
I think the problem comes from the low summer flows - the stretch near Spruce Run has been low, slow water with a nasty algae bloom and lots of ooky foam build up. Very different from how that stretch looks earlier or later in the year.

That is it exactly! The aglea was horendous!! I bet that during the winter and srping months, and even during the mid to late falls months, the water is wonderful. But I don't know personally. This was the first time I had been there and found it quite disgusting. But that was due to low water, human trash, and the nasty algea. The fish were nice looking and got some good cutthroats.

I will have to try it this year for steelies. :D

-Spydey