Next best thing?

Gunga
Gunga
So i have been calling around to all the places near me that sell marine plywood and only a couple sell them for less then 100 bucks. but they still sell them for over 85. Im not looking to spend that kind of money for a small project boat that i have. So i was wondering whats then next best plywood to use. Replaceing the small transom on the boat and the seat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

Last edited:
M
mlw
How thick of plywood are you looking for? You could get a sheet of 3/8 Meranti and glue it up where you needed thicker. Otherwise a good (like A-B) fir plywood would do, Looking closely, I don't see any difference between marine and non-marine fir plywood (there used to be, the marine ply had no voids - but they have dumbed the specification down to meet the sort of wood they can get now.)
Michael

Gunga
Gunga
I am wanting to get 3/4 to 1 inch. Do you know how much a 4 by 8 sheet of fir would be? And thanks!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Dude, just get plain jane plywood and coat with epoxy & paint. It'll honestly outlast that little boat - no need to spend big coin on marine plywood for that boat.

Gunga
Gunga
Thats what im saying. I dont want to spend a ton on it. So im wondering whats good besides marine. Im thinking of fixen the boat up wuen i get my paycheck.

H
Hawk
Imho just use an exterior grade (outside glues) 3/4" plywood & put on some Marine Spar Varnish. Some places might even cut it for you, bro. :)

Best of Luck to you.

Ask thuggin' what he used to put new bench seats in his boat.

Gunga
Gunga
Hawk said:
Imho just use an exterior grade (outside glues) 3/4" plywood & put on some Marine Spar Varnish. Some places might even cut it for you, bro. :)

Best of Luck to you.

Ask thuggin' what he used to put new bench seats in his boat.

Thanks hawk! I will most likely dot that. And i will ask thuggin about his bench seat.