Springers in tide water

F
fishtales
It has been a while since I have salmon fished. I'mk wondering if the majoity of the run has already passed tide water so i can figure out where to fish in the comming weeks. Is the run in full swing? Along the coastal system are the fish lower in the system or spread through out?

E
eat, sleep, fish
fishtales said:
It has been a while since I have salmon fished. I'mk wondering if the majoity of the run has already passed tide water so i can figure out where to fish in the comming weeks. Is the run in full swing? Along the coastal system are the fish lower in the system or spread through out?

Which system(s) are you wanting to fish? Down south here the springers are just getting started, and the bulk of the run has yet to even enter the river. I believe the same is true for the Columbia and Willamette as well, and the Tillamook systems don't seem to get going until the later part of May.

May always seems to be a better bet for consistent springer action.

E
eugene1
Good point, eat.

Also, not too many of the coastal rivers have cold enough water to support Springers.

Tbay
Siletz
Umpqua
Coquille
Rogue

W
waco
Some Springers are starting to show in the Tillamook Rivers!

Reactions: eugene1
F
fishtales
eat said:
Which system(s) are you wanting to fish? Down south here the springers are just getting started, and the bulk of the run has yet to even enter the river. I believe the same is true for the Columbia and Willamette as well, and the Tillamook systems don't seem to get going until the later part of May.

May always seems to be a better bet for consistent springer action.

I want to fish out of the Tillamook area hopefully. Maybe the Hospital hole or a slew. My fishing buddy is down in Cali for work but we have talked about fishing the rivers when he returns. If it does not heat up till May, then we should have plenty of time.

F
fishtales
Any idea when the fish will start hitting the rivers? How has the Wilson been?

W
waco
Low and clear steelhead fishing slowing down, few caught on the Trask but nothing to get excited about, hopefully after this rain we will start seeing more springers!!