Fly fishing-what and where to buy flies?

S
sapo
I have a fly rod and reel now, and I'm wondering what flies to buy. Dry flies or nymphs I don't care, I was just wondering where to buy flies, what are personal favorites of yours. I'm looking for flies that are effective from about May-July, somewhere in that timeframe. Thanks!

C
ChezJfrey
sapo said:
I have a fly fishing pole and reel now, and I'm wondering what flies to buy. Dry flies or nymphs I don't care, I was just wondering where to buy flies, what are personal favorites of yours. I'm looking for flies that are effective from about May-July, somewhere in that timeframe. Thanks!

You asked some questions about Fanno Creek and Summer Creek and mentioned Progress Lake, so I assume you are very near River City Fly Shop. It is 11429 SW Scholls Ferry Rd., right by Fanno Creek Trail. They sell flies :)

S
sapo
Yes, I'm a few minutes away from River City Fly Shop. Thanks, I'll be checking it out!

O
OnTheFly
Fly Rod ;)

T
TimberTodd
S
sapo
@OnTheFly oops sry, ill edit my post now

Aervax
Aervax
My go to fly when things are tough is a size 18 bead head prince nymph. Kills the trout on streams when dead drifted with a tiny splitshot. Picks up a few white fish too. Fished shallow in the ponds on a slow retrieve bluegills cannot leave it alone.

hobster
hobster
^^^ Prince nymph is my favorite also and is killer as a dropper from a dry fly also. My local river is producing lots of march browns, that would be the go to dry fly I'd use right now. Any of the local fly shops will help you with what fly is hot at the moment, have fun with the bug wand and good luck!

C
ChezJfrey
For trout during non-hatch, in addition to the Prince nymph, it's hard to go wrong with a copper john, woolly bugger and an elk hair caddis.

troutdude
troutdude
X 2 on Woolly Buggers. I've also nailed 'em tons, with Teeny Nymph patterns too.