Eagle Cap Wilderness

G
Gentleman Angler
I'm hitting the Eagle Cap Wilderness in late June. Anyone been? Curious which lakes, rivers, streams are worth some effort to try to get to???

Any insight is much appreciated.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've hiked up the lostine river and it had some nice fish. Lakes are numerous and some have fish but I can't remember names. You'll love it up there.

G
Gentleman Angler
Awesome! Thanks Jamisonace. Let me know if you come up with any of the names of those lakes. Either way…we will find some I'm sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

W
willfishforfood
Be prepared for cold weather even in late June. My family has a tradition of camping at Catherine Creek campground then hiking in to Tombstone lake, a pretty intense 10 mile hike in. It's been quite a few years since I've been out there. We used to see spawning salmon in Catherine Creek in August, can't remember how the trout fishing was. Tombstone and nearby diamond lakes hold decent numbers of trout. The Minam river is also a doable day hike from base camp at tombstone. One of my most fond early fishing memories is from Tombstone lake, catching grasshoppers for bait and fishing for hours without a soul around. Amazing scenery. For easier access, there are available options to pack in via horse or mule.

O
OnTheFly
Wow, lucky you. I love that place. Check out my profile and view some pictures I took about 5 years ago near Eagle Cap. One of the nicest backpacking trips my son and I have done. We base camped at Horseshoe Lake and day hiked to Douglas and Moccasin Lake. Any caddis fly on a floating line will work.

Y
YoungFisher
willfishforfood said:
Be prepared for cold weather even in late June. My family has a tradition of camping at Catherine Creek campground then hiking in to Tombstone lake, a pretty intense 10 mile hike in. It's been quite a few years since I've been out there. We used to see spawning salmon in Catherine Creek in August, can't remember how the trout fishing was. Tombstone and nearby diamond lakes hold decent numbers of trout. The Minam river is also a doable day hike from base camp at tombstone. One of my most fond early fishing memories is from Tombstone lake, catching grasshoppers for bait and fishing for hours without a soul around. Amazing scenery. For easier access, there are available options to pack in via horse or mule.
Hey have you ever seen any bears up near those lakes?

G
Gentleman Angler
Awesome! Thanks for the input. Everyone I've heard from seems to think it should be a good trip. I checked out your photos and it got me even more pumped to get up there. Thanks for sharing. I'll make sure I bring a nice assortment of caddis flies. Cheers

W
willfishforfood
As far as I know there are black bear, but I think they are still pretty wary of people as the area is so remote. I don't remember ever hanging our food but it couldn't be a bad idea.

W
willfishforfood
image.jpg
Eagle Cap over moccasin lake, my cousin's recent photo.

G
Gentleman Angler
Anyone know if Mid/Late June still has a lot of snow up there? I know in the higher elevation it may be snowy…but what about the Lakes Basin area???

D
DrTheopolis
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but generally by mid/late June, most places below 4000-4500 feet should be clear, or mostly clear. Notice I said "generally"? Every year is a little different. And up high, it will likely get nippy late at night.

W
willfishforfood
I think it is a safe bet that snow below 4500' will have cleared out. We've had snow at higher elevations come in all of a sudden, even in late summer. Don't forget bug spray, they are worst early in the summer.

O
OnTheFly
willfishforfood said:
Eagle Cap over moccasin lake, my cousin's recent photo.
Your photo gave me a few chills. Moccasin Lake reminds me so much of areas in the Sierra Nevada where I have done some extensive backpacking. The Oregon Wallowas is the only place in the state that comes close. I'd like to go back there and base camp at Moccasin then take a day and hike to the top of Eagle Cap. Did your cousin fish?

J
JeannaJigs
Gentleman Angler said:
Anyone know if Mid/Late June still has a lot of snow up there? I know in the higher elevation it may be snowy…but what about the Lakes Basin area???

You should be good this year as it's a veryyyy low snowpack year