Wow, Cabela's having a big sale!

W
wozniasm
What do you think about the Cabela's Prestige Plus Fly Reel on sale?

Gunga
Gunga
WHY MUST I BE BROKE!!!!! They have there fly tying kit for 20$ Such a bad time right now!

B
bigfootfish
20 cents for a fly tying kit? OMG! Oh. you mean 20 bucks. The dollar sign was behind the numbers. Heck! That's a good price anyway!!!

M
Modest_Man
I just got some of the Cabela's brand fly line, not too bad for $20.99. Better than what I had before for sure.

U
usmc-recon
Bought a 8 foot cabelas pro guide steelie combo pretty sweet caught 2 with it on last trip very nice reel 10 bb reel really smooth not bad for 59.99

E
eggs
time to stock up on tapered leaders and tippet!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I have one of the Prestigue Plus reels - it seems to be well built, very similar to my Cortland CDM (so much so that I have suspicions that Cortland may be the OEM maker for this line of reels, but I might be wrong there.)

It's an all metal reel, with a nice disc drag. Drag adjustment is alright. I've not had any fish big enough on the rod/reel yet to pull line out, but the drag seems smooth in non-fishy driveway testing. Love the big, textured paddle handle on this one. I also love that this reel is QUIET. I absolutely HATE noisy reels - I only own a couple - I prefer silence when stripping line or reeling it, so that I can better hear everything else around me. Nothing quite as nice as listening to mother nature herself singing to me - I don't need metal on metal clicking when fishing!

I'd buy another one in a heart beat at this point, especially for what they're on sale for right now.

W
wozniasm
GungasUncle said:
I have one of the Prestigue Plus reels

Thanks for the feedback. I have a Cabela's single handed spey but the reel diameter is a tad small for this area so I thought about picking up the 3.75 inch reel as well as a spare reel.

Update: It and the spare reel are ordered.....

Last edited:
S
strongcraig
I bought two Prestige Premier fly reels when they were $60 then bought another at $90 knowing that that is still half of what the reel is worth.

Thinking about getting a #4 to go with a 7wt 13' spey rod. This is my first spey outfit. Any thoughts on the amount of space I'll need for backing/running/tip versus how much this 9/10 wt reel will hold is appreciated.

I wrote a review on the product page, can see it here: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...premier+reel&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Wow. Old thread. Saw the OP, nearly started to panic.

Carry on.