Fly fishing-where to go?

S
sapo
I'm getting fly fishing gear and am wondering where to go...I'm looking for a good trout fishing stream within 45 minutes of Portland. I can't really find anything other than big rivers, and I'm looking for more of a small river/stream fly fishing area. Also, since I'm a beginner, I'm looking for a stream that can probably provide a catch, and one that wouldn't be too hard to fish. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

brandon4455
brandon4455
all streams in the area are closed to trout fishing until either the 4th saturday in april,or the 4th saturday in may. check the regulations to be sure. Closest streams to fish are the Mac& willy near eguene or the deschutes. if you get a chance check out a local stocked lake or pond, stocked lakes are a great place for a new fly angler.

S
sapo
I know they're closed for awhile, just wondering places to go. There are plenty of trout-filled ponds where I go, I'll probably start there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
to my knowledge there really isn't much in portland or super close, your best best would be going for cutthroat in the tillamook area streams when they open,such as the wilson and trask.

R
_RJ_
Any coastal river will have rainbows and cutthroat. I usually just run a elk hair caddis with a gold ribbed hairs ear nymph dropper. Bigger sizes for early in the season and smaller as the flows drop. Mid to late may, I suggest going to the Deschutes for some salmonfly/stonefly hatch action. Make sure you have some bead head prince nymphs for when the bugs aren't hatching. It's not too hard on the Wilson or trask to hook up with trout. Not sure if those rivers are the size you're looking for.

troutdude
troutdude
Your closest river, is the Clackamas.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Upper Clackamas drainage - Oak Grove Fork, North Fork, Collowash and the upper main stem. Rainbows, the odd brookie, and some browns which escaped out of Harriet, according to PGE folks.

Coastal streams when they're open.