Mary's backside

troutdude
troutdude
Okay. So, now that I have your undivided attention--here is another installment of the continuing saga of the U.S.S. Puddlejumper.

There I was; sitting on the couch this morning @ o'dark thirty. I was minding my own business--and slowly dispatching a bowl of cereal--when all of sudden I heard a voice. Yep. You got it. That modulation was emanating from the Puddlejumper. And it was calling my name!

By zero seven hundred (just a bit past sunrise), with gear and coffee loaded up, we took OFF. The compass was pointed west. The goal was to see if there were any cutts or blue backs (a.k.a. sea run cutts or SRC's), available for the pickin's.

We arrived at Clemens Park, near the hamlet of Alsea, just before 8:00. The water level was down, as expected. So, I set out on foot (sans gear) for a scouting expedition. It was rather cool, and a good day for some exercise anyway. Here is where the Puddlejumper stood watch, while I investigated the scene.

I worked my way along about a mile long stretch of the N. Fork Alsea. Saw some reasonably good looking water / pockets, but didn't see any fish rising or even sub surface. Here are a couple of those spots:

So, I headed back and fired up the rockets. I switched to autopilot, and the Puddlejumper graciously cruised to the nearest mini mart for a java re-fill! From there--and with some mud in my paws--it was OFF to another spot to inspect.

We turned east, and then went north OFF and onto a logging road. This is where we encountered Mary's backside...Mary's Peak, that is. Said lane actually goes from Hwy. 34 (where we turned OFF), and after much twisting and turning eventually will dump you out, onto Hwy. 20 @ Burnt Woods. To demonstrate the elevation as one goes up and over...here are a some shots.

The metropolis of Alsea is down there...WAY down there!

And here's the view a bit more to the north (and OFF the tailgate of the Puddlejumper):

Anyway, some 13 gravelly miles and 30-40'ish minutes later we arrived at our destination. The Puddlejumper wound down. As I got rid of the coffee, I heard what I had hoped for. YES! A splash! Then another! Fish were jumpin!!! We had arrived at Klickitat Lake, and it was GAME TIME! "Klick" is a smallish lake, about 2 acres or so in stature. And it has lots of stumps to provide fish with cover.

With a two rod license in hand, I loaded up rod #1. Adorning my 5' hollow fiberglass Lamiglas, were couple of small split shot, and a chunk o' nightcrawler. I tossed it into the drink.

Rod #2 was next. It was a new (to me) 5.5' graphite Fenwick ultralight. And it was crowned with a torpedo bobber, a BB sized split shot and a Borden Special fly. While I let the Lami's worm sit and work it's magic on the fish; I casted and retrieved the Fenny and the fly. All the while, I kept seeing fish rock n' roll...er...um...rise n' roll!

I have known about this little lake, since at least the 70's. And all of the reports that I've fielded over the years indicated that there are lots of cutts in there. So, that's what I was geared up for.

Here's the slot that I was fishing (the only spot that I found, that one could fish from the bank). This shot is from the road (I forgot to take my phone down to the bank).

After about 20 minutes or so--and no hits--I re-cast the nightcrawler to a different pocket. Next, I removed the Borden Special from the other rod and was about to install a woolly bugger. But, a little voice told me to put on another chunk o' worm. So, that's what I did. (Do you suppose that the Puddlejumper is telepathic? ha ha ha).

About 2 casts later (now with bobber and worm) the bobber went under on the drop. I was so surprised, that it took and extra second or so to set the hook. Fish on! First fish on my Fenwick. And to my surprise, it was a smallie! It was short in stature (7 - 8"), but fun on an ultralight rod! I carefully removed my de-barbed hook with my forceps. Back into the water he/she went, to get bigger for next year.

Then, I let the Fenny take it's turn and just let it's worm fill a vacancy in a pocket o' water. While I kept an eye on said Fenny's bobber; I re-rigged the Lami with a rainbow patterned Rooster Tail. And a few casts later...WHUMP!

Yet another smallie was fighting for dear life. The little bugger whacked that rooster, right in front of me. And he was in the LILLY PADS...YIKES! I only had a tiny UL rod and 6 lb. line. I thought for sure he'd break OFF, before I could wrestle him to the bank. But, I won! He was a bit bigger--in the 10" range and had belly on him. But, he got to return safely home as well.

Then, it was time for this here fisherman to fire up the Puddlejumper and also return home. Not a stellar day of fishing; but good none the less. All in all, a fun morning. And, I'm home in plenty of time to fire up the BBQ with some relatives and kick back.

Hope you all are having a spectacular, and safe, holiday!

Last edited by a moderator:
U
usmc-recon
Great story man well documented you allways have great story lately all mine been along the lines of being skunked good job bro

W
wozniasm
Great story TD! A lot of drivin' but over all a great time!

W
waco
Wow TD very nice report!!!! Thats what the long hollydays is about!!!

M
markasd
Good read... put me their in a few spots of your story/report!

L
lilsalmon
Glad you got out TD.......and got fishes.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome report TD. Glad to see you get out in a fun area.

If you take the road on the left before Klick, and park just on the other side of the bridge. You can work your way up along the creek, and come out with pretty good bank access/ plus be able to work your way out on the logs, with great fishing, the cutts love laying under the logs in there. Plus fish your way up the creek can be a blast too.

C_Run
C_Run
I think we swiped a Christmas tree off the roadside out there back in the '70s. Did you see any Sasquatches?

O
OnTheFly
Spur of the moment fishing trips are the best. Good one TD.

Reactions: bigsteel
B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks everyone. It was indeed a fun morning. And standing on top of a mountain, is always inspiring and refreshing. I only saw one other rig the whole time, and that was on the way out.

My eyes were peeled; but no Sasquatches to report.

Squatch...I'll have to try that road/creek access that you mentioned (I did see it). I will also take my tube next time as well. Thanks for the tip!

Oh...and WORD UP...the road FROM Klicitat TO Harlan is CLOSED. I had to turn around and go back to Hwy. 34 to get out.

P.S. My front wheel drive U.S.S. Puddlejumper is a trooper and a serious corner hugger! We did our best to kick up some dust!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah, I'd imagine it'd be a bit harry going up klickitat right now, steady stream of log trucks coming down during the weekdays.