How does your herring roll?

F
FishFinger
You ever rig up a whole frozen herring, get the action just right; only to discover once thawed the bait straightens out, its mouth opens and the action is all buggered up.

There is a neat and effective trick to solve this problem.

"The bionic spine"

Preformed wire can be easily used to reenforcement the herrings backbone when threaded down its length, and the shorter tag end keeps the mouth pinned closed.

Once the bionic spine is installed it can be bent to archive and maintain the perfect roll, be it fresh or frozen.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
steelhead_slayer
Nice and easy. I would definitely use that.

E
eugene1
Looks interesting, I have always cut the head off to get that nice roll.

Take care,

J
jesse202505
Where can you buy these?

S
steelhead_slayer
Just what I was thinking

F
FishFinger
Spinal implants are easy to make with just pliers.

Those pictured are simply lengths of .042 stainless spinner wire, which I got from B.C. Angling Post in Gladstone.

Earlier manifestations used to be strictly rebar tieing wire, but it tends to rust up after a few uses in brackish water.

It's not my idea specifically, rather one shared by a buddy in conjunction with a special cure he created; which still remains a secret.

J
JeannaJigs
I like. I always plug cut because it just seems simple, quick and easy, but in the warmer water of the willamette, they really don't hold up for nothin' no matter how well they are cured. I might have to try this if I ever get out on the lower river this year, that's a big if though lol.

Top Bottom